any news on the public health service

yup, ready reserve. apparently a lot of active duty phs folks are against integrating reservists and want to keep it a full time service only.
dont really understand what effect that has as this was a law passed and signed. I think there is a huge group of people wanting in so maybe the active duty are hesitant due to this? (I am purely guess)

Not sure why there would be a huge pool of people clamoring to do this, at least from a financial standpoint. I mean, presumably most of the folks who would qualify already make a good living in the private sector, so why risk getting "deployed" to a Bureau of Prisons gig for several months (I know there are many more possible work environments, just citing an example)? Don't get me wrong, I think the USPHS sounds pretty cool, but I'm in the Navy and probably sort of the "type" to be attracted to this kind of work, as I'm sure the posters in this thread are as well. I just don't see masses of people lining up for this, though, is all I'm saying, (unless I'm missing a piece of info).

Hmmmm... if YOU can't fathom a reason why someone would want to join... you have stopped cerebrating...

Loan Repayment

Tuition assistance for Doctoral Degree

Personal Satifaction

Professional Satisfaction

Wanting to be a member of a Uniformed Service but unable/unwilling to join the MILITARY.

Wanting to have a arena to "practice medicine" FREE of financial constraints/concerns

Selfless Service

Patriotisim and wanting to contribute to the health of the nation and the underserved communities within.

ETC...

Then again... wasn't your response the same when the idea about "preferential" admissions for VETERANS was tossed out by a Program Director...???

No, my response was not the same at all. In that instance, my OPINION as a veteran was that admissions "preference" was not enough of an incentive to make a commitment to a particular underserved area. Have a different opinion? Great, that's why they're called opinions.

If you had comprehended my response, you would see that I did indeed allude that there was a type that would be interested in this (USPHS) for the sake of it, but I didn't (and don't) think that "a huge group of people" is into selfless service. Where that the case, the USPHS wouldn't need a Reserve to begin with.

You mentioned financial incentives (loan repayment), and that was just the sort of thing I was getting at - typically there is no such thing for a Reserve commitment (there goes "selfless service," right?).

Don't you ever get tired of being a crank? (Rhetorical question - I'm sure this is the highlight of your day).

Thanks....!!!

Must have been all that "Prop-Blast"... and those bogus PLFs...

1.) While there is a "reserve" component of the USPHS... ever wonder why there really has been NO shortage of volunteers...???

Just because your recent proximity to ".gov" has your view shaded to the point where YOU can't see why LOTs of people are interested in service doesn't make it not so.

Consider that those verbalizing interest have been licensed providers for some time and might be on the "down side" of their clinical careers and now want to serve in a meaningful way.

Maybe they actually live in a area SURROUNDED by PHS sites (Native Reservations for example)... and want to work in that system.

Maybe they want to position themselves for Active PHS jobs and figure the best way to do that is get on the reserve roster...

2.) Ever wonder why the 5 yr PA programs are never short of applicants...???

Consider that to LOTs of folks.... a GUARANTEE beats the hell out of a maybe.

I'm sure there are likely thousands of MILITARY medical personnel that would LOVE to have a guaranteed seat in a program and would look at a 2yr commitment for a lifetime opportunity a deal.

Especially when you consider that many of these same folks may have applied to IPAP and was therefore willing to incur the OBLIGATION and inherent danger/risks that come with acceptance to that particular program.

So to them... a 2 yr commitment in a underserved community in the US (CONUS) for a 30+yr career is a "no-brainer" when they reflect on the fact that they were gonna re-enlist and re-deploy in a Infantry line unit's medical platoon.

Stop looking for ways and reasons that these things won't work...

Maybe appreciate the FACT that someone like LESH is actually ... ACTIVELY trying to accomodate VETERANS... and blunt the troubling trend of PA programs constructing barriers to VETERANs being admitted.

Dude, you are projecting like crazy.

Are you even listening to me? One more time: I don't think people are beating down the doors to give up their comfy lifestyles in order to be at the beck and call of the USPHS. Maybe that's cynical of me, granted. But that in no way implies that I don't understand that some people would want to do it - I said as much. I myself have "incurred the obligation" etc. etc. of IPAP, and years of service before that. So what are you talking about?

And why am I defending myself against someone with such poor reading comprehension skills?

Whatever. Dollars to donuts you were a peacetime pogue.

REally...!!!!

The navy dude is using a ARMY AIRBORNE term (POG-UE= Person on the ground, LEG...!!!!) to describe a Former Paratrooper... Interesting and Laughable.

Its also funny that a Navy dude would even go there. But who are YOU to know that I was actually in the Military from 1987-1995 ... served in DSS... Bosnia, honorably discharged then served AGAIN as a WPPS medic/Medical Officer PA Contractor in Iraq, Afghanistan less than 4 yrs ago.

Try again bubba... YOU are a "NO-GO at this station"...!!!

Nah... the 100 trips to the DFAC don't count as combat patrols in the Army LEG. I guess the Navy does it differently.

My 2 CMBs and Senior ABN wings say different.

You're a LEG youngster... as is typical, you stopped reading when you thought you saw what you needed.

Fact is you either wasn't even in the military, or was a lower enlisted wannabe eating out of the chow hall and sleeping in tents...

Meanwhile I was running BIAP and other roads with Triple Canopy and DynCorp back in 2005-2007.

LEG....!!!

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: word]LEG

[/TD]

[TD=class: tools]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: text, colspan: 2]-n.-

Term with origins within the United States Army, particularly the corps of paratroopers, used as a derisive term towards non-airborne qualified soldiers. Literally an acronym, meaning any of the following: Lesser Effective Ground Trooper, Low Energy Groundpounder. alternate spelling: LEGG, i.e., Low Energy Ground Ground. You dirty nasty Leg, you will never amount to anything

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: word]Leg[/TD]

[TD=class: tools][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: text, colspan: 2]In the military world, it is a scunbag who has not been to airborne school and successfully jumped from an airplane

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

back to the question at hand....I make a good living but would enjoy doing the weekend/mo, 2 weeks/yr with the phs both as a public service and because it leads to a very nice pension after 20 yrs without the risk to myself and my family of joining the military. there is also the possibility I might like it enough to go full time. I have 2 friends on active duty with the PHS, one a captain getting ready to retire and 1 a commander with a few yrs left before retirement.

that may sound cowardly but there it is. as a single guy there is a fairly good chance I would be active duty military right now but a family makes it different, at least for me. in my younger days I applied for both navy scholarships and a west point slot and considered doing the rescue swimmer gig with the coast guard but opted to go another way with my life. I know lots of folks who feel the same way. just in my PA school class there are several guys I keep in touch with who are lining up to sign up for this as well if it comes about soon.

Archived