any news on the public health service

Nah...

Actually real PTSD from Iraq circa 2005-2006.

FWIW... we had AC... good chow... great gear... and comfortable vehicles. My CAC permitted me access to places you weren't allowed. I had wireless internet access whenever I was actually on a FOB and by satallite (BGAN). I slept in relative comfort every night and traveled those roads in sheer but quietly managed terror scanning my sector for any signs of hadji trying to pull a ali baba move. For that 90 days on that team... they paid me $90k. Then it was off to Afghanistan for 6 months.

And if your reading comp skillz are tuned... you will recognize that EMEDPA's reasoning for wanting to join is exactly what I was referring to. I know LOTS of folks who would join in a heartbeat.

EMED, I don't think that sounds cowardly at all. Different strokes.

If I had to guess, I would think the delay with standing up the Ready Reserve is more of a logistical thing than anything else. Not to mention all the budget shortfalls. IMO it's a case of the simplest explanation being the most likely.

"And if your reading comp skillz are tuned... you will recognize that EMEDPA's reasoning for wanting to join is exactly what I was referring to. I know LOTS of folks who would join in a heartbeat."

Dude - I've acknowledged from the beginning that the posters in this thread have legitimate reasons for being interested in this. What are you not getting?

How many service members apply to IPAP each yr...????

How many are accepted...????

Those accepted incur the same obligation YOU now have....

The masses NOT accepted to IPAP would likely be willing to accept a rural obligation for a seat since it doesn't entail the possibility of getting deployed to the "litter box"and no where near the risk that comes with that.

Those folks accepted and not accepted are but a reflection of the larger force AND the society from which that force is derived.

Simply put... there are just as many selfless and sacrificing citizens out of uniform as there is in uniform. So if you can admit that "the posters in this thread have legitimate reasons for being interested in this" then surely you can see that its VERY LIKELY that some folks next door, down the street, across town, on other forums, in other threads, etc.. may "have legitimate reasons for being interested in this."

This is why there will be PLENTY folks willing to deploy to Podunk Appalacia or FBOP or rural Alaska, or in support of the victims of Hurricane (Name One) or Haiti, or Suriname, or the Marshall Islands, etc.

There are even folks like ME and the other 300k civilians willing to deploy as fully trained and capable and licensed civilians to support our nation's interests.

Ugh.

I never disputed that there were people out there interested in serving their fellow man - only that, in my opinion, there probably aren't so many folks waiting in the wings that the whole project (legally-mandated, btw) has been called off (sort of a ridiculous notion that overwhelming interest would shut the thing down, no?). Anyway, for every person you point to that would be interested, I could point to another that would say "no way." So what? It's all anecdotal. Perhaps you and EMED are the types to go for this, and you tend to associate with those types as well.

All I said was that, on balance, I don't think there are loads of people lining up for this. In general I don't think people want to have their lives disrupted - it's why service opportunities are often incentivized (and why there is still a rural PCP shortage). Also, it's a pretty subjective statement (exactly how many are "loads?). You obviously disagree, which is fine of course - but for some reason that I don't understand, disagreeing simply isn't enough for you. You have to be personally offended, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived