List of states that do NOT require PANRE?

I appreciate that... I understand that in order to become a PA-C one must pass the PANCE but as to what the requirements are for recertification--that is my main question.... I am having a difficult time finding what the requirements are (i.e. per state) for recertification.

I appreciate your feedback

To keep the "C" you must maintain your cert with NCCPA. Some states do not require the "C" to maintain your license. If your state doesn't require the "C" you can drop your NCCPA cert and simply be a "PA". This varies from state to state so you need to determine what the regs are in your state. Do they require the "C" to maintain licensure or not and that is best determined by giving them a call.

EMEDPA, in order to answer my question of determining which states require someone to take the PANRE should I be looking at the 4th (i.e. Current NCCPA Certification) or 5th (i.e. Renewal Requirements) column?

The fourth NCCPA certification. The fifth refers to state requirements for continued licensure. Keep in mind that insurance companies or Medicare may require current NCCPA certification.

thanks coloradopa

I was curious about the nature of maintaing certification because it seems that some people (i.e. on the forum) were having issues with the PANRE itself (i.e. failing it) saying that PAs shouldn't have to take it or that the test was not representative of primary care PA medicine

The recent rash of failures was a product of the test scoring system. Pass rates are usually high. The old test was more pirmary care based. There are now options to focus on more specific fields- surgery, adult medication etc.

That aside, there is still a legit argument re: how effective the test is at evaluating competency, skills, and knowledge base.

In my field the PANRE tests <10% of these things, and is a poor tool to evaluate my abilities.

thanks coloradopa

I was curious about the nature of maintaing certification because it seems that some people (i.e. on the forum) were having issues with the PANRE itself (i.e. failing it) saying that PAs shouldn't have to take it or that the test was not representative of primary care PA medicine

The test is thought to be representative of primary care (at least that's how its designed). While I will agree with Andersen that it tests a small portion of what for example a CVS PA does, by making sure we are minimally competent in general medicine it allows us to move freely within all areas of medicine (IMO). Even with the focused test, 60% of the test is on general medicine.

Andersen and Colorado:

Thank you for your replies. After having read the PANRE posts I was beginning to get uneasy about PA education since I'm scheduled to start next summer, but after having read more posts (i.e. including yours) I feel better.

Hopefully the scoring anomaly won't happen again

But there does seem to be a general consensus that the PANRE is more appropriate for primary care PAs and less for other specialities--but there are only a few states that don't require it to maintain certification. So it seems that most PAs HAVE to take it.

So I guess for me the best thing to do is focus on PA school, then the PANCE and between that time find the best state/environment to practice medicine in as a PA.

Great Discussion

Archived