Seeking advice regarding pre-reqs

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting a question, although I've lurked for quite sometime ;) 

I'm currently finishing up my AS degree as a medical assistant but I will still need a few pre-reqs before applying to a PA program--I hope to complete them while working/earning my HCE and could use some advice. My program of choice doesn't require the science course to have a lab component but they would like 5 quarter credits. The classes that I've seen online (some offering labs, some not) have only been 4 quarter credits. How much do you think this would impact my chances of being accepted? I'm a mother to two small children and an online program would be better suited to my situation but I also don't want to throw away money or diminish my chances of being accepted. 

Thanks for your help! 

p.s. If it matters, I have already completed three lab classes (general bio, human bio, & botany) so my transcript won't be completely devoid of labs. I'll also have all my MA lab classes as well. 

Do you already hold a bachelors degree? Most programs out there require that you have one before they offer you admission. Also, completing the bare minimum will likely not get you into any programs. You'll want to go above and beyond since the competition is pretty fierce out there. Not only should you make sure you get those 5 units, but you should also be taking upper division courses at a university. 

Do you already hold a bachelors degree? Most programs out there require that you have one before they offer you admission. Also, completing the bare minimum will likely not get you into any programs. You'll want to go above and beyond since the competition is pretty fierce out there. Not only should you make sure you get those 5 units, but you should also be taking upper division courses at a university. 

I don't hold a bachelors. I'll likely have enough credits since I was a junior level psych major before my path changed. I'll be looking into consolidating them (maybe through a program like excelsior or thomas edison since I've seen them mentioned here many times). My local program offers a bachelors and masters program and I would like to get in before the cut off to masters only programs in 2021.

I have about half a dozen plans on what to do depending on how things play out in the next few years. Like I mentioned above, I might try to consolidate my credits or I might complete my BA with medical assisting (I've found what seems to be a reputable program online). I had planned to take my pre-reqs at night all along but thought I would ask about the online classes just to have a better idea about my options. I want to be as competitive as possible, naturally. The reason I'm perhaps a bit more focused on 'the school of my choice' is because I have young children and my husband has a job here so I'm not sure at this point how likely relocation is...thankfully the application process is still a few years away and who knows what can happen in that time. This school is more strict than the ones in my neighboring states regarding HCE and will only count paid experience with direct patient care, which is why I went back for my AS/MA. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself since there are just so many components I won't be able to work out until the time comes, as far as scheduling goes, but I appreciate help because the more information I have the better equipped I'll be to make those decisions when the time comes. 

I appreciate the help!

Anything you think I might find useful, please don't hesitate to throw it my way.

Towson University in Maryland has a degree in Allied Health that requires an AA or AS in a health field (rad tech, RT, PTA, etc.) to enroll. Every course for the major is online. I did this program and graduate in a few weeks. I had to go on campus for my science classes, though. See if there are similar options near you.

Archived