I need opinions about preparing for PA school!

I'm hoping that some of you wise PA students can help me out.

I am a senior in college, and I've already been accepted to PA school. I have taken Human Phys and Comparative Anatomy and Phys, which fulfills my anatomy and physiology pre-reqs. However, I really didn't learn much anatomy at all in comparative. I am debating whether or not to take a human anatomy class next semester to better prepare myself for PA school. It's not required and I'd honestly rather take something in another field instead (before my entire life becomes consumed with science for two years), but if the prior knowledge will truly be invaluable then I will take it. Opinions?

I am a senior in college, and I've already been accepted to PA school. I have taken Human Phys and Comparative Anatomy and Phys, which fulfills my anatomy and physiology pre-reqs. However, I really didn't learn much anatomy at all in comparative. I am debating whether or not to take a human anatomy class next semester to better prepare myself for PA school. It's not required and I'd honestly rather take something in another field instead (before my entire life becomes consumed with science for two years), but if the prior knowledge will truly be invaluable then I will take it. Opinions?

Honestly, if you need to take a class and it's this close to the start of your PA program, human anatomy would be a good choice. I understand that it may not be what you want to do and it would be preferable to take the easy way out, but if you walked away from this course with a good foundation in anatomy then it would make life easier once you get into anatomy in the program.

Honestly, if you need to take a class and it's this close to the start of your PA program, human anatomy would be a good choice. I understand that it may not be what you want to do and it would be preferable to take the easy way out, but if you walked away from this course with a good foundation in anatomy then it would make life easier once you get into anatomy in the program.

Everything in PA school is condensed into short time frames. That means the material will be coming at you faster and you won't have much time to comprehend it all. You will definitely do yourself a favor if you have previous knowledge/understanding to draw from. You can always take A&P from a local CC, which will probably have an easier workload than human anatomy, in addition to whatever courses you want to take at your current school.

Everything in PA school is condensed into short time frames. That means the material will be coming at you faster and you won't have much time to comprehend it all. You will definitely do yourself a favor if you have previous knowledge/understanding to draw from. You can always take A&P from a local CC, which will probably have an easier workload than human anatomy, in addition to whatever courses you want to take at your current school.

I took 3 courses before starting PA school that were not required. But I did it as audit. Cost the same amount of money and you usually need permission from the professor to do so. I took Ant & Phys and a intro to pharm at a CC and Humun Pathology at a Uni. I auditted all of them which meant I could walk away at anytime and since I would not receive a grade it would never affect my GPA. The only class I stayed to the end was the Human Patho course. I was learning so much and it really helped when I was in PA school. I got my review in A &P and well the intro pharm was too basic so I walked away before the courses ended... why because I did not want to burn myself out before PA school started. And this is important. So take some courses you think will help if you wish but don't burn yourself out.

I took 3 courses before starting PA school that were not required. But I did it as audit. Cost the same amount of money and you usually need permission from the professor to do so. I took Ant & Phys and a intro to pharm at a CC and Humun Pathology at a Uni. I auditted all of them which meant I could walk away at anytime and since I would not receive a grade it would never affect my GPA. The only class I stayed to the end was the Human Patho course. I was learning so much and it really helped when I was in PA school. I got my review in A &P and well the intro pharm was too basic so I walked away before the courses ended... why because I did not want to burn myself out before PA school started. And this is important. So take some courses you think will help if you wish but don't burn yourself out.

What other sort of course did you have in mind?

Here is how I translate your post: "I took this knock off course to just squeak by the pre reqs and it worked, but I really didn't learn that much. I am not in the mood to study hard before doing this PA thing for a couple of years, but I suppose if it's REALLY needed then I guess I'll try...do I really have to?"

Perhaps I am a bit harsh in my translation but here is my spin. Because you don't understand HOW important human anatomy is to medicine, I am making the assumption your health care experience is about nil. Or the experience you gained was really weak. With that in mind, you are going to attend a program that within two years will turn you loose to be the health care provider for someone's family. People will depend on you to make the right decisions about such small nuances that the common person would never ever realize make that big of difference, but a wrong decision can cause life changing events. The fallacy of having a physician backup should not factor into it. You will be the provider, you will have to make these decisions. THIS reality will immerse you in sciences for not just the two years of PA school but as a LIFE LONG LEARNER of medicine.

If the notion of taking a class that will better prepare you for PA school, and you know it will or otherwise you wouldn't feel guilty about not wanting to take it (shown by your post here, trying to find a reason to not do it), detracts you, or you feel is otherwise a burden, I IMPLORE you to reconsider your current career track.

Or let me put it this way...Would you feel comfortable allowing your patients to read a statement about you how you took a comparitive class but didn't learn that much, but wasn't in the mood to take the real Anatomy course because you were afraid you would be overburdened with sciences?

health care provider...it's not a hobby...it's a calling. Either get on the train, or find another ride.

Here is how I translate your post: "I took this knock off course to just squeak by the pre reqs and it worked, but I really didn't learn that much. I am not in the mood to study hard before doing this PA thing for a couple of years, but I suppose if it's REALLY needed then I guess I'll try...do I really have to?"

Perhaps I am a bit harsh in my translation but here is my spin. Because you don't understand HOW important human anatomy is to medicine, I am making the assumption your health care experience is about nil. Or the experience you gained was really weak. With that in mind, you are going to attend a program that within two years will turn you loose to be the health care provider for someone's family. People will depend on you to make the right decisions about such small nuances that the common person would never ever realize make that big of difference, but a wrong decision can cause life changing events. The fallacy of having a physician backup should not factor into it. You will be the provider, you will have to make these decisions. THIS reality will immerse you in sciences for not just the two years of PA school but as a LIFE LONG LEARNER of medicine.

If the notion of taking a class that will better prepare you for PA school, and you know it will or otherwise you wouldn't feel guilty about not wanting to take it (shown by your post here, trying to find a reason to not do it), detracts you, or you feel is otherwise a burden, I IMPLORE you to reconsider your current career track.

Or let me put it this way...Would you feel comfortable allowing your patients to read a statement about you how you took a comparitive class but didn't learn that much, but wasn't in the mood to take the real Anatomy course because you were afraid you would be overburdened with sciences?

health care provider...it's not a hobby...it's a calling. Either get on the train, or find another ride.

Just Steve I think you are being a bit harsh and jumping to conculsions that the OP never eluded too.

First schools over the years have shortened the dropping and refund window. I had some courses that after the first week you could only withdraw from the class and lost all that tuition money. Sometimes you don't know if it is a "good/bad" course until the 3rd session. My microbiology course was a total joke but it was too late for me 1. to drop the class and get my money back and 2. be able to enroll in another course, if I did not complete the course I would have had to waited a whole another year to apply to my schools program because of being short this one pre-req. Does this make me lazy or bad PA..... Absolutely not I on my own went through the entire text book all 28 Chapters even though the course only covered 8. I sought out other professors to answer my questions when I had them.

Second I see nothing wrong with the OP recognizing potential areas of weaknesses that they want to correct or shore up before starting PA school. In fact I think that is the kind of future provider I want to take care of pts. One that recognizes their shortcomings (we all have them ya know) and then does something about it! Maybe their A&P class was 4 yrs ago they want to refresh, maybe they had a poor instructor, there could be a ton of reasons.

Third yes this profession requires Lifelong learning you are correct, but we tend to focus on the area of medicine we practice I doubt the Cardiothoracic PA can still remember all bones of the foot, or an ortho PA who stinks at reading ECGs. Does that make them bad PAs? Not if they recognize their weakness it doesn't.

Just Steve I think you are being a bit harsh and jumping to conculsions that the OP never eluded too.

First schools over the years have shortened the dropping and refund window. I had some courses that after the first week you could only withdraw from the class and lost all that tuition money. Sometimes you don't know if it is a "good/bad" course until the 3rd session. My microbiology course was a total joke but it was too late for me 1. to drop the class and get my money back and 2. be able to enroll in another course, if I did not complete the course I would have had to waited a whole another year to apply to my schools program because of being short this one pre-req. Does this make me lazy or bad PA..... Absolutely not I on my own went through the entire text book all 28 Chapters even though the course only covered 8. I sought out other professors to answer my questions when I had them.

Second I see nothing wrong with the OP recognizing potential areas of weaknesses that they want to correct or shore up before starting PA school. In fact I think that is the kind of future provider I want to take care of pts. One that recognizes their shortcomings (we all have them ya know) and then does something about it! Maybe their A&P class was 4 yrs ago they want to refresh, maybe they had a poor instructor, there could be a ton of reasons.

Third yes this profession requires Lifelong learning you are correct, but we tend to focus on the area of medicine we practice I doubt the Cardiothoracic PA can still remember all bones of the foot, or an ortho PA who stinks at reading ECGs. Does that make them bad PAs? Not if they recognize their weakness it doesn't.

With all due respect, I didn't ask for an opinion on my being suited for PA school or my dedication to my career path. Let's leave that for admissions to decide.

Second of all, comparative was not a "knock-off" course; it was probably one of the harder classes I've taken. I needed to take it for my biology degree and it happened to satisfy the pre-req. I did learn a lot. All I meant was I took away more physiology from it than anatomy. Obviously I want to prepare as best I can for PA school, which is why I asked the question in the first place. However, since I have never BEEN in PA school, I wanted the opinion of those who have--that's all. In other words, did your pre-reqs really make an impact on your success?

Next semester I will also be working on my senior thesis, taking immunobiology and calculus. My 4th class it up to me and would either be Human Anatomy, Developmental Biology, or a humanities course. I love science and I love learning, but I am about to enter the most rigorous coursework of my life in May, and I don't want to burn out too quickly.

Thank you so much to everyone else for your suggestions! I will be taking the anatomy course.

With all due respect, I didn't ask for an opinion on my being suited for PA school or my dedication to my career path. Let's leave that for admissions to decide.

Second of all, comparative was not a "knock-off" course; it was probably one of the harder classes I've taken. I needed to take it for my biology degree and it happened to satisfy the pre-req. I did learn a lot. All I meant was I took away more physiology from it than anatomy. Obviously I want to prepare as best I can for PA school, which is why I asked the question in the first place. However, since I have never BEEN in PA school, I wanted the opinion of those who have--that's all. In other words, did your pre-reqs really make an impact on your success?

Next semester I will also be working on my senior thesis, taking immunobiology and calculus. My 4th class it up to me and would either be Human Anatomy, Developmental Biology, or a humanities course. I love science and I love learning, but I am about to enter the most rigorous coursework of my life in May, and I don't want to burn out too quickly.

Thank you so much to everyone else for your suggestions! I will be taking the anatomy course.

On anatomy,

Try to get into a gross anatomy class somewhere. Probably not practical outside of a formal education experience but when I went through this course in PA school we had to spent a lot of time in the lab outside of regular class time dissecting, labeling, and stuff. If you have a friend or acquaintance going through this course, tag along with him or her after class time. Even though it won't be for credit, you will remember much. There is nothing quite like the three dimensional hands own experience of gross anatomy to ingrain what connects to what.

On anatomy,

Try to get into a gross anatomy class somewhere. Probably not practical outside of a formal education experience but when I went through this course in PA school we had to spent a lot of time in the lab outside of regular class time dissecting, labeling, and stuff. If you have a friend or acquaintance going through this course, tag along with him or her after class time. Even though it won't be for credit, you will remember much. There is nothing quite like the three dimensional hands own experience of gross anatomy to ingrain what connects to what.

I have highlighted portions that convey a particular message to this receiver. If you, as a communicator, want to send a different message, then perhaps you can either 1. Choose a medium that best suits your particular style or will yield feedback that you want to hear or 2. Choose words that better explain your current situation.

If you had included information on the other course that you have completed, or otherwise gave a better look at where you are coming from then perhaps my feedback may have been a bit softened. However, when I read what I highlighted in red, it says to me that you didn't learn much and not sure if you should better prepare for PA school or not. What student doesn't want to better prepare?

The portion in blue gives the direct impression that you don't want to study the sciences and you view the next two years as laborious or otherwise taxing.

Lastly, you ask for opinions, as highlighted in green. Dismiss my opinion as the ravings of some maniacal freak if that suits you, but when you open yourself up for feedback, it won't always be wrapped in gift wrap with a pretty bow. Sometimes that feedback reflects how the receiver perceives your message. I perceived your message as "I don't want to try hard and looking for an excuse around it".

For what it's worth, I am glad you are opting for the additional course.

and for HopefulPA...while I appreciate that through the evolution of specialization, there will be topics that fade from memory as that grey matter is filled with more pertinent, specific information dealing with their immediate situation, we are talking about an anatomy course...a stone foundation to which build upon a house of the provider's liking. Shirk on the foundation and the house will not stand for long.

I have highlighted portions that convey a particular message to this receiver. If you, as a communicator, want to send a different message, then perhaps you can either 1. Choose a medium that best suits your particular style or will yield feedback that you want to hear or 2. Choose words that better explain your current situation.

If you had included information on the other course that you have completed, or otherwise gave a better look at where you are coming from then perhaps my feedback may have been a bit softened. However, when I read what I highlighted in red, it says to me that you didn't learn much and not sure if you should better prepare for PA school or not. What student doesn't want to better prepare?

The portion in blue gives the direct impression that you don't want to study the sciences and you view the next two years as laborious or otherwise taxing.

Lastly, you ask for opinions, as highlighted in green. Dismiss my opinion as the ravings of some maniacal freak if that suits you, but when you open yourself up for feedback, it won't always be wrapped in gift wrap with a pretty bow. Sometimes that feedback reflects how the receiver perceives your message. I perceived your message as "I don't want to try hard and looking for an excuse around it".

For what it's worth, I am glad you are opting for the additional course.

and for HopefulPA...while I appreciate that through the evolution of specialization, there will be topics that fade from memory as that grey matter is filled with more pertinent, specific information dealing with their immediate situation, we are talking about an anatomy course...a stone foundation to which build upon a house of the provider's liking. Shirk on the foundation and the house will not stand for long.

Don't apologize. You don't need to apologize for asking opinions, or feel badly that a stranger chose to take your message the wrong way. Please.

I rather liked the idea of taking the anatomy audit. You get your second exposure and can still take something else you might enjoy. May I recommend photography? You could become your PA class historian. We were told there's some sort of prize involved for the best scrapbook, and we've had some fun times together so far.

Don't apologize. You don't need to apologize for asking opinions, or feel badly that a stranger chose to take your message the wrong way. Please.

I rather liked the idea of taking the anatomy audit. You get your second exposure and can still take something else you might enjoy. May I recommend photography? You could become your PA class historian. We were told there's some sort of prize involved for the best scrapbook, and we've had some fun times together so far.

Archived