New requirement for California PAs

California physician assistants (PAs) are now required to inform patients that they are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Consumer Affairs' Physician Assistant Committee, and to provide patients with the committee's contact information. The regulations require PAs to provide this notice by one of three methods:

1. Prominently posting a sign in an area of their offices that is conspicuous to patients, in at least 48-point type in Arial font.
  2. Including the notice in a written statement, signed and dated by the patient or patient's representative, and kept in that patient's file, stating the patient understands the physician is licensed and regulated by the committee.
  3. Including the notice in a statement on letterhead, discharge instructions, or other document given to a patient or the patient's representative; the notice must be placed immediately above the patient's signature line in at least 14-point type.

Regardless of the method chosen, the notice must read as follows: "NOTIFICATION TO CONSUMERS: Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee, (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov."

Physician assistants, not facilities, are responsible for compliance with this regulation. In practices with more than one PA, only one sign must be posted (should that option be chosen), but it must be posted in a location where it can be seen by all patients.

Contact: Elberta Portman, (916) 561-8782 or elberta.portman@mbc.ca.gov.

California physician assistants (PAs) are now required to inform patients that they are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Consumer Affairs' Physician Assistant Committee, and to provide patients with the committee's contact information. The regulations require PAs to provide this notice by one of three methods:

1. Prominently posting a sign in an area of their offices that is conspicuous to patients, in at least 48-point type in Arial font.
  2. Including the notice in a written statement, signed and dated by the patient or patient's representative, and kept in that patient's file, stating the patient understands the physician is licensed and regulated by the committee.
  3. Including the notice in a statement on letterhead, discharge instructions, or other document given to a patient or the patient's representative; the notice must be placed immediately above the patient's signature line in at least 14-point type.

Regardless of the method chosen, the notice must read as follows: "NOTIFICATION TO CONSUMERS: Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee, (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov."

Physician assistants, not facilities, are responsible for compliance with this regulation. In practices with more than one PA, only one sign must be posted (should that option be chosen), but it must be posted in a location where it can be seen by all patients.

Curious as to who was behind the scene pushing this? Is this same requirement in place for practitioners other than docs (NPs, CRNAs, PharmDs, Nurse midwives, etc.)? What is the rationale behind the sign? Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but suspect politics is involved.

In most states I have worked, PAs are required to wear a name tag, clearly stating they are a "PA", and some with "Physician Assistant" spelled out under their name on the name tag. And no covering it up with fuzzy bears or lollipops, etc. Loosely enforced, but on the books none-the-less.

Curious as to who was behind the scene pushing this? Is this same requirement in place for practitioners other than docs (NPs, CRNAs, PharmDs, Nurse midwives, etc.)? What is the rationale behind the sign? Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but suspect politics is involved.

In most states I have worked, PAs are required to wear a name tag, clearly stating they are a "PA", and some with "Physician Assistant" spelled out under their name on the name tag. And no covering it up with fuzzy bears or lollipops, etc. Loosely enforced, but on the books none-the-less.

It is California. As R.C. alluded to, the state tends to regulate. There have been similar requirements in the past like signs saying "This facility utilizes Physician Assistants."

There has also been a few problems with other health professional regulatory committees not doing what they are charged to do. Arnold vs the Board of Registered Nursing comes to mind. There's also a highly publicized case on medical negligence going on right now. State of California vs Dr. Murray. Before its all over some NPs might have to explain who regulates them and what can they do.

Then there has been an ongoing budget crisis. Regulatory boards and agencies have to justify why they are needed and should not be combined with other boards or eliminated.

There have been some cases where the PA misrepresented themself. There is also an issue of preceived patient confusion with the current degree creep of professions. And let's be clear the CMA seems to be on this.

I can see where the Regulatory committee is coming from, in some ways I think there's some positive sides to this for PA practice in California. It could be a way to publize the profession " Today you may be seeing a PA, individuals qualifed by training, certification and licensure to meet your health care needs. Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee of the California Medical Board. To learn more about PAs call (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov or ask your PA. Thank you."

It will turn out more like a poster than a sign at 48 font but just saying...lol

LesH

It is California. As R.C. alluded to, the state tends to regulate. There have been similar requirements in the past like signs saying "This facility utilizes Physician Assistants."

There has also been a few problems with other health professional regulatory committees not doing what they are charged to do. Arnold vs the Board of Registered Nursing comes to mind. There's also a highly publicized case on medical negligence going on right now. State of California vs Dr. Murray. Before its all over some NPs might have to explain who regulates them and what can they do.

Then there has been an ongoing budget crisis. Regulatory boards and agencies have to justify why they are needed and should not be combined with other boards or eliminated.

There have been some cases where the PA misrepresented themself. There is also an issue of preceived patient confusion with the current degree creep of professions. And let's be clear the CMA seems to be on this.

I can see where the Regulatory committee is coming from, in some ways I think there's some positive sides to this for PA practice in California. It could be a way to publize the profession " Today you may be seeing a PA, individuals qualifed by training, certification and licensure to meet your health care needs. Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee of the California Medical Board. To learn more about PAs call (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov or ask your PA. Thank you."

It will turn out more like a poster than a sign at 48 font but just saying...lol

LesH

It could be a way to publize the profession " Today you may be seeing a PA, individuals qualifed by training, certification and licensure to meet your health care needs. Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee of the California Medical Board. To learn more about PAs call (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov or ask your PA. Thank you."

That's nice. I saw the sign up in a practice, but all it seemed to do to me was invite trouble (i.e. here, call and complain at this number). And yea, I too am curious if NPs have to do the same.

It could be a way to publize the profession " Today you may be seeing a PA, individuals qualifed by training, certification and licensure to meet your health care needs. Physician assistants are licensed and regulated by the Physician Assistant Committee of the California Medical Board. To learn more about PAs call (916) 561-8780, www.pac.ca.gov or ask your PA. Thank you."

That's nice. I saw the sign up in a practice, but all it seemed to do to me was invite trouble (i.e. here, call and complain at this number). And yea, I too am curious if NPs have to do the same.

Well invite trouble or not it is what it is. NPs fall under the BRN. The PAC is expecting to see it, and can now cite PAs for not being in compliance. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

Well invite trouble or not it is what it is. NPs fall under the BRN. The PAC is expecting to see it, and can now cite PAs for not being in compliance. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

The same regulation is in place for physicians I assume, as I see signs posted all over the local practices stating that physicians are licensed and regulated by the state medical board and contact information is provided. The signs that I've seen are obnoxiously visible and everywhere.

The same regulation is in place for physicians I assume, as I see signs posted all over the local practices stating that physicians are licensed and regulated by the state medical board and contact information is provided. The signs that I've seen are obnoxiously visible and everywhere.

Well there you go. The PAC falls under the Medical Board of California. The BRN does not.

LesH

Well there you go. The PAC falls under the Medical Board of California. The BRN does not.

LesH

Thanks for posting this Les. When I talked with AAPA State Legislative staff, this was a consumer protection driven issue, and is common among all licensed professionals. A sign is in the waiting rooms of all parts of the hospital and outpatient clinics in our facility. No big deal as far as I can see.

Archived