admissions dilemma

I was accepted at one of the schools that I interviewed at. This school isn't my first choice, but I would be VERY happy there. The schools that I would prefer to attend haven't even started sending out interview invitations yet and I need to send a deposit to this program within the next two weeks.

Since many of the programs I am applying to have different interview and admissions schedules, I knew that I would probably be faced with this dilemma. I had planned to accept the offer and then let the program know that I wouldn't be attending IF I got accepted into a program that was higher on my list. I was under the impression that this was what most people did and why programs had waitlists.

When I attended the interview at this particular program, the program director told us, in no uncertain terms, that accepting their offer then changing our mind was a "schumcky" thing to do and that all the PA schools talk to each other.

How concerned should I be about this? I would love to attend this program, but I also know that there are one or two programs I would love even more. I don't want to make enemies before I even start my PA career, but I also don't want to be bullied into attending a program that isn't the best possible fit for me.

What a great dilemma to have :;;D:. Congratulations! I would pay the deposit, not say a word about my other interviews/plans, and just wait and see what happens. Who cares if PA schools talk to each other? By the time this director would know you went elsewhere, you would already have a seat at the other school. You may even decide you like this one best after interviewing elsewhere. I am sure that is what waiting lists are for- think of how happy some other person will be to get your spot if you change your mind. And that is why they collect deposits- so you will think long and hard about giving up $1K or more to go to another school.

Schools experience this every year. They know that they are not always the top choice for everyone. They also know that there are hundreds of people waiting to take your place if you choose another school. The claim that PA schools talk to each other is pointless. If you are accepted to another program, they will not rescind that acceptance simply because you paid a deposit for a seat at another program. Once you're in, you're in! So, pay the deposit, secure your seat. If you are selected for a better fit program, then go there. By the way, MOST schools don't refund a deposit. I wouldn't be surprised if programs make several thousand dollars each year from students that have sent a deposit but chose a different program. You should have asked him if the deposit was refundable, then tell him it's "schmucky" for them to keep your money if you decide not to attend their program. Bottom line, they are pressuring you into doing what's best for THEM. You should always do what's best for YOU. Their program will survive even if you aren't there.

I was in a similar dilemma when I was interviewing. I was accepted to a school I liked, but had interviews at other schools higher on my list scheduled after the deposit deadline would have passed. I paid the deposit to ensure I had a definite spot. At my top choice school interview they asked me if I had interviewed at other schools. I told them I had and even put down a deposit but was willing to forgo that money to go to my top choice. I got the impression from the interview committee that this showed I was committed to going to their school. When I was accepted at my top choice, I let the other school know that I would not be able to attend and thanked them for everything. No need to explain why you are not attending.

Well, first...congrats!! Second, pay the deposit. I'm not on an adcom, but I think it's highly unlikely that schools are carefully tracking the individual movements of each applicant. People are going to call you worse than "schmucky" in your lifetime so I wouldn't let his words make your choices for you. If you do end up getting accepted elsewhere and lose the entire deposit, consider it an investment. (Really, what's 1K on top of the other loans?) That being said, I'd think it polite to let the school know right away if you accept another offer so that seat can be opened for someone else.

Pay the deposit, keep to your original plan. I did the same thing. It works out fine.

I dunno if it's true about PA schools talking to each other, but I imagine they're awful busy this time of year and the number of applicants they would have to cross check between all those schools in order to screw YOU over would be pretty overwhelming. Sounds like an empty (and kinda vague) threat.

Lots of people pay their deposit for their spots and end up deciding on another school. Don't turn them down if you currently have no other offers - they just might be the only school that accepts you! Pay the deposit, attend your other interviews, and see what happens. Maybe you will be lucky enough to be accepted to multiple schools and will have the opportunity to choose. If not, you still have a school that you like that has already accepted you.

• 1 year later...

I have the same dilemma, so it is great to hear that some people have paid a deposit then accepted another school's offer without consequence. I know for medical school it is a big no no! They actually WILL call the other school and then both will take back their offers.

Archived