Supervision

I honestly didn't think that ED physicians "retired".  The career span is so short for this specialty based on the numbers that I last saw (7 years as I recall) that I have always felt that they moved into FP or so other related field.  I cannot for the life of me imagine spending 30 years practicing EM unless I was an attending in an academic setting where it was more supervisory or teaching.

I find that I work better with younger/newer physicians. I find our medical decision making is much more similar than the older docs. More evidence/based (using algorithms... heart score, wells, PERC, PECARN, etc). My PA program was heavy on evidence based medicine and most of the newer docs are too. I haven't had any issues. They seem to appreciate my knowledge and thought process.

I honestly didn't think that ED physicians "retired".  The career span is so short for this specialty based on the numbers that I last saw (7 years as I recall) that I have always felt that they moved into FP or so other related field.  I cannot for the life of me imagine spending 30 years practicing EM unless I was an attending in an academic setting where it was more supervisory or teaching.

I actually know a lot of guys who are em boarded who have done it since the early days of the profession. actually just attended a retirement party for 3 docs in our group who are retiring. one of the guys who goes to Haiti with me was in the first em residency class at denver. he just retired last year after 30+ years as an er doc.

I find that I work better with younger/newer physicians. I find our medical decision making is much more similar than the older docs. More evidence/based (using algorithms... heart score, wells, PERC, PECARN, etc). My PA program was heavy on evidence based medicine and most of the newer docs are too. I haven't had any issues. They seem to appreciate my knowledge and thought process.

I guess this is site specific. all the older docs I work with are very mellow and understand pas. many of the younger ones didn't train with pas and don't trust us at all. the local em residency program is at a place with all NPs in the ER unfortunately...

I guess this is site specific. all the older docs I work with are very mellow and understand pas. many of the younger ones didn't train with pas and don't trust us at all. the local em residency program is at a place with all NPs in the ER unfortunately...

Must be site specific. We have a couple who came out straight out of residency and after a couple weeks of working with us they were fine with us signing out patents without presentations. The older docs don't have issues with us either, I just find dicussions with newer docs seem to be more along my line of thinking. Some older docs dont even know what mdcalc or uptodate is (my bibles).

We only have 1 doc out of 25 who is not a PA fan and he is "inbetween" (late 40s/early 50s), word on the street is - he was involved in lawsuit with PA. So he wants to talk about every patient with us. Other than that, I have a pretty decent working relationship with him. He does have issues with a couple PAs but mainly bc their knowledge base isn't up to par, and I can see and understand that.

Archived