Attitude on sdn

That's what I find confusing, some Docs I spoke to said PA is the future and the salaries are great.

They also say their own salaries are suffering and PA is the right choice, but on the flipside quite a few PAs

Seem to say that for the work they do, they should have gone to medical school to get better pay

So whats "confusing"...???

Family practice Physician generates $300k in billings/yr and sees 25 patients/day, 4 days a week with call once a month for $150k/yr, $5k/yr CME, plus intangables, plus productivity/partnership in a few yrs.

Family practice PA-C at the same practice generates $425k in billings/yr and sees 25 patients/day, 5 days a week with call 1 day/wk for $75k/yr, $1500/yr CME, has to fight with the PM at contract negotiation time every yr to keep a MA, parking, and/or a $2000/yr raise, etc... and basically seem as "ancillary staff."

To lots of physicians... this is fair and their atitude seems to be that those PAs should simply be glad they have jobs and allowed to practice medicine.

So whats confusing...???

Wow thanks for the breakdown. I was confused as some Doctors I've spoken to have said that being an MD now is not worth the time and money invested when you can earn upwards of 100k as a PA.

Btw- which area do you practice in? And do you have any regrets about going the PA route?

Ask those same doctors you've spoken to if after considering that the malpractice risk is the same and the standards of professional practice/care are identical... would they work for "upwards of $100k" while being treated as "ancillary staff"....???

I work in Internal Medicine, and Behavioral Medicine (Psychiatry and Addiction).

Every few yrs... I quit and go on a adventure in Remote/Austere Medicine.

Every thread is like that over there; not just threads about PAs.

Hammer meets nail. Like most other forums (especially healthcare), SDN is pakced full of blowhards with a primary goal of causing rifts and arguments. Internet Business Mgt 101. The same reason many radio talk show hosts place callers that disagree with their rants to the front of the line. Most gawkers enjoy a heated argument much better than everyone agreeing with everyone else. More apt to come back and gawk some more = more site visitors, etc. So, when things are calm for awhile you can bet some headline-grabbing thread will pop out of left field. Usually along the lines of how another profession sux, you are not equivalent to me, doctor wannabe, etc.

Archived