Urgent Care Staffing

How is your ED's fast track area staffed?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How is your ED's fast track area staffed?

• PA / ED Tech
    • PA / RN
    • MD / ED tech
    • MD / RN
    • PA and MD / ED Tech
    • PA and MD / RN

Fast track in a separate building just outside Main ED. Staffed with 1 secretary, 2 billing clerks, 1 X Ray tech, 3 nurses (at least one is an RN), 1 MD, from 0800 till midnight 7 days a week. Single PA coverage from 0800 till 1:00 pm. 2 PA coverage from 1:00 pm till midnight.

ED has a separate Pedi ER staffed with ED Pediatrician 24 hours/day, and single PA from 10 am till 0200.

PA coverage from 10 PM till 0700 AM in main ED.

Adding PA position in Triage and a swing shift PA in Main ED after first of year.

150,000++ pt visits/YR ED.

Hope this helps

Worked with E for awhile and this setup seemed good to me:

10 bed Intermediate/ 11 bed Fastrack with a centralized nurses station;

Intermediate-

-2 RNs/ 1 LPN/ 1 tech/ 1 secretary

Fastrack-

-2 LPNs/ 1 tech/ 1 secretary

-each section had it's own tech for lab draws and splints

-I will say that the LPNs likely could have run the whole show with a tech for each (my opinion may be biased, but WTH)

woops, forgot:

1 MD in intermediate; 2 PAs, one seeing pts on both sides, and one seeing only FT

Worked with E for awhile and this setup seemed good to me:

10 bed Intermediate/ 11 bed Fastrack with a centralized nurses station;

Intermediate-

-2 RNs/ 1 LPN/ 1 tech/ 1 secretary

Fastrack-

-2 LPNs/ 1 tech/ 1 secretary

-each section had it's own tech for lab draws and splints

-I will say that the LPNs likely could have run the whole show with a tech for each (my opinion may be biased, but WTH)

yup, those lpn's could easily run the show there.

I think we could actually run intermediate without the docs at all actually.

we have such a shortage of nurses and techs now that the techs often cover multiple areas. T.S. just quit to go to hyperbaric medicine so we are down 1 more lpn and randy got his rn and left. he will likely be at medex next yr. I just sent in his LOR.

we run FT now with just 1 pa and 1 lpn and sometimes a tech and no secretary. the master chief works back there a lot and pretty much runs the show doing all 3 jobs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest juliannabelle

Our Fast Track is adjacent to the ED triage area and currently has 3 beds, a fourth area which is just a chair (used for med refills, ankle sprains, suture removals, etc), plus a nook in a hallway where a stretcher can fit, or a chair... It is staffed by one mid-level and one nurse (he/she puts orders in computer as well), +/- a tech when available. We'll soon move into a new Fast Track area (down a hall from main ED) that will have 6 beds and this will be staffed by one mid-level and one nurse (and heavens-willing, a full time tech). The mid-level in the main ED will likely float to help out in fast track when it is busy.

The MSE stuff (medical screening exams) will be done in the old fast track area. Currently we're doing MSEs (including lab draw and ECG) with just one little exam bed crammed in next to the triage nurses and it is not efficient.

• 1 year later...

Archived