Living Preferences

What is/was your living situation?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is/was your living situation?

• Alone
    • With another PA student
    • With another married PA student (also away from spouse)
    • With another student (not PA)
    • With multiple other students (PA or not)
    • With a random person (craigslist, roommate finder, etc)
    • Other

I am currently looking into my options for when I move for PA school and would just like some opinions of current students. I am 27 and will be moving about 1500 miles away from my spouse (no kids thankfully!) and won't know anyone in the area. So what would/did you do? Also, would you please post a comment if you wish you did anything different? Thanks!

Take your spouse...

I went to Seattle (160 miles away) for the entire first year; came home every other weekend.

It took a HUGE toll- and I'm military so I thought she'd handle it no sweat...

You just never know what jody is up too... better not give him the option

Sorry if that seems cold. You're the age I was when I entered PA school.

:cool:

I'm 26, moved about 800 miles away, with a random craigslist person. I love the location and the arrangement isn't too bad. I would have perfered to live with another student in the program.

I would def. recommend the wife coming along if at all possible though. I barely have time to even make phone calls back home, I couldn't imagine making any sort of frequent visits (though belive me it would be nice)... schools tough, and you'll welcome the support.

I chose to live with two other girls in the program. You can find a nicer place for cheaper, carpool to school, and share the cooking. Not to mention the biggest benefit - automatic study partners at your fingertips 24/7! I must say, I am quite happy that I chose to live with other students in my program because I can't imagine staring at this stuff for hours on end without anyone to bounce stuff off of. There are a few people in my program who chose to live alone and are regretting it because they often have to search out people and make plans to study. Plus it never hurts to have someone there to give you a hug with you are hysterically crying after the first week and convinced you'll fail out :p

There are several people in my program who are married and living with their spouses, some local and some commuting. The ones that are commuting say that it is tiresome to make the long commute to go home but that's the situation they are in and better make the best of it. They find it annoying sometimes to come back on the weekends to study with other students who are closer to campus. But, on the other hand, they usually have dinner/breakfast waiting for them and limited chores to do thanks to the spouse. I'm quite jealous and wish my fiance's job didn't require him to live so far away :p

One guy in my program did room with a craigslist poster and he says it has actually turned out to be a good set up for him. I personally am a little skeptical about that because you never know what you'll get.

I guess I would suggest having your spouse move down to school with you if that is an option . You will REALLY appreciate having your support system so close and you'll be able to study rather than spend time otherwise travelling to visit. If this is not an option, I suggest trying to connect with some of the other students in your program and see if anyone else would be interested in rooming together. My class literally just kept sending out emails saying "I don't know anyone, who wants to be my roommate?" and it has worked out for everyone so far.

Good luck!

I chose to live alone my first year and I'm so glad I did. I've had problem roommates in the past and didn't want to have to worry about that during my didactic year. I did however choose to live in an apartment complex where at least half of my classmates were also staying so I had easy access to study partners if I needed them. But I didn't have loud roommates who stay up past 2am or throw big parties during the week so I was happy.

My second year I chose to move in with 3 other classmates (all that I had gotten to know over the past year) for the cheaper rent while we were doing clinical rotations. So far, so good! So it's really up to you and your situation. But I would suggest either living alone or with other PA students.

I haven't been admitted yet, but I think about this all the time. I loved living alone throughout undergrad. I like my house neat, don't drink, and need quiet to sleep. Almost everyone I know that has lived together has ended up hating eachother. My husband and child will be traveling to come see me when I get in. BUT...I worry if I do not live with another PA student it will be hard on my finances and I will miss out on studying oppurtunities. I really hope to hear more from PA students.

• 3 weeks later...

i guess i never even thought about with parents! i guess it will just have to be lumped into the "other" category.

i haven't started school yet but i think i'll prefer to relax over party during my tiny amount of free time...but i also got sick of partying by my last year in college and preferred to just get drinks/appetizers with my friends.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so this is probably a stupid question but how do PA students have time to party? I am under the impression that the programs are very rigorous, so I am assuming that means no time for parties. Am I wrong?

I havent started my program yet, but I am sure it would be possible to make time to go out once a week. Example- Wake up early saturday, study all day until ~8pm, get ready & go out. Sleep it off, wake up late on sunday and relax.....then study all sunday night..... Seems do-able....but Ill let you know in 2 months! :) I think it is important to have some down time after studying hard all week. If all you do is study 24/7, you would go crazy! I'm guessing it would probably be harder for people to go out who have kids or significant others/spouses, because the little free time they have left would be spent with them.

• 1 year later...
Ok so this is probably a stupid question but how do PA students have time to party? I am under the impression that the programs are very rigorous, so I am assuming that means no time for parties. Am I wrong?

well, 1st year I lived alone with my companion cat. 2nd in clinicals I had to live with another PA with 2 cats. we tried to make sure one of us was always at home for the kitties. one female student brought her Lab dog and did the camping out thing with Molly during clinicals. I was much older than the 25-35 yo crowd so too much culture differences to live with them 1st year. and yes, my dear, those kids did party hardy, several times a week just for drinks and usually a home party of the jello shot type every other week end. and they did well grade-wise. I wish I had been part of a group living: life, finances, and kitty would have all been better I think. good luck

I did not have to move to attend my program but I did need to figure out how to pay my mortage while in school....so I rented out 2 furnished rooms in my house. Both were to students. One room went to found on craiglist, the other was a PA student but a year behind me (after the first craiglist student got accepted to med school). If I could have I would have rented both rooms to PA classmates (Although I had great housemates), there is truly a huge benefit to instant study partners.

If you do the craigslist I had a total of 4 total craiglist renters in 3 yrs. Only 1 was really annoying and thankfully she was only there a month. The others were great. I really wanted serious students. I was very clear when renting that this was NOT a party house..... that I was renting a room to them and not them and their friends/significant. It wasn't that they couldn't have friends/significant over but this wasn't the 'hangout"/lovenest" place. Good luck.

God, until tonight I would have said you were right. But damn, we needed a party after the end of this quarter.

Ugh, why am I on here right now? Sleep, need.

I think our class had a party (or went out) after finals week every time.

My husband and I had a home and he wanted to keep his job, so we lived apart. In retrospect we both agree it would have been better if he had moved with me. It sucked and we hated every second of it.

I chose not to live with other students. Before school started one wise classmate said 'what if we all lived together and discovered we hate each other?' I did live close enough to one (down the hall) and she was my study partner. That was great. Two other gals I studied with were close enough to join study groups as well.

I started school living with my boyfriend/partner (been together 6 years now), but at the end of our first quarter he moved out of state when he received a much-wanted job offer. It definitely hasn't been easy, but you just do what you have to do in this economy, especially as new grads with no savings! I'm hoping to arrange one rotation where he lives now, although that may not be possible since there is another PA program in the city and they likely have agreements with all the local clinics.

Living alone actually isn't all that bad- I'm free to study however much I want without feeling like I'm neglecting anyone, and sometimes after being in class for 8+ hours it's nice to come home and unwind by yourself. The hardest thing for me is cooking meals for one person, so a group of friends and I occasionally make group meals.

Actually, my biggest concern right now is arranging animal care when it is time for rotations. If he were still living with me, I'd have no problem taking rural rotations outside of my region... but now I'm going to try my best to stay local as much as possible, with family members coming to live at my apt for 6 weeks at a time if my program absolutely has to send me away.

Archived