Coursework GPA confusion

My scool does GPA scale (4.0). They want me to convert some of my grades to CASPA grade scale in LETTERING format. With these instructions:

CONVERT the grade on your transcript to the correct standardized letter grade if your program uses numeric rather than alpha grades. Refer to the "Instructions For This Section" to determine the equivalent letter grade. If a non-graded course (e.g., Pass/Fail), select "None".

In the "Instructions For This Section", They give this conversion table:

A+ = 4.0A = 4.0A- = 3.7AB = 3.5B+ = 3.3B = 3.0B- = 2.7BC = 2.5C+ = 2.3C = 2.0C- = 1.7CD = 1.5D+ = 1.3D = 1.0D- = 0.7F = 0.0WF = 0.0

This table is missing quite a few numbers, especially if your school gives out GPAs with an even digit in the decimal place, example: (3.8, 3.6).

So my question is...do I round up or down?

My undergraduate university DOES list broad conversions for our decimal grades to lettering, which would sometimes round my CASPA grade up an in other times round down ...and in doing so would not utilize their instructions of using the conversion table.... Is that what I'm supposed to use?

Thank You

Don Mccorkel

You type in your grade by individual class, not overall... I think that is where the confusion lies. Say you took 4 classes 1 semester and got 2 A's, and AB, and a B. That means that after typing in the class you took, you follow it by A (4.0), A (4.0), AB (3.7) and B (3.3).

I believe what OP is asking is "if my number falls between the grades on the scale, which grade do I pick?"

When I applied, I had one school like this; CASPA told me that if the number is closer to one grade I had to choose the closest grade, ie. a 3.1 is closer to a 3.0 (B) than a 3.3 (B+). However, if the number was EXACTLY in the middle I could round up, ie. a 3.6 is exactly between a 3.5 (AB) and 3.7 (A-) so I could pick the A-.

Call to double-check because I couldn't find it in the FAQ, but that method makes sense to me.

I believe what OP is asking is "if my number falls between the grades on the scale, which grade do I pick?"

When I applied, I had one school like this; CASPA told me that if the number is closer to one grade I had to choose the closest grade, ie. a 3.1 is closer to a 3.0 (B) than a 3.3 (B+). However, if the number was EXACTLY in the middle I could round up, ie. a 3.6 is exactly between a 3.5 (AB) and 3.7 (A-) so I could pick the A-.

Call to double-check because I couldn't find it in the FAQ, but that method makes sense to me.

Thats exactly what I was asking.

I called, and they said to round up no matter what. Even if the 3.1 is closer to 3.0...round up to 3.3. Thanks all for chiming in.

Archived