Starting clinicals...recommend some phones/apps please.

Im not sure I need a wonder-phone/apps for my clinicals, but they appear helpful. Ive got until labor day to adopt a phone/apps to aid in my clinicals.

As of now all I have specifically for clinicals is a print copy of Pocket medicine. I have several e-books as well...can these be saved onto say an I-phone?

I currently have AT&T, but will switch if there is a company that offers something much better. The hospital I will spend the majority of time at does have wireless internet for providers throughout as well.

Any ideas/recommendations/pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Davo

• Administrator

Free:

* Medscape (Be sure to choose to download the entire database when it gives you the choice)

* Epocrates (the free edition)

* Skyscape (the free resources)

* MerckMedicus

* MedCalc

* Micromedex drugs

* MPR (monthly prescribing reference http://www.empr.com)

* ICD9 Consult

* Pedi QuikCalc

* EM-QuickRef

Non-free, but worth it:

* DxSaurus

* Physical Exam essentials

AVOID:

* EyeXam Pro

Ooooh, and if anyone has a recommendation for an Android flashcard app for anatomy, let me know. I browsed the selection in the Android market and everything was confusing and had weird reviews. I love my mini-Franks, but I've found it awkward to pull out my pelvis/perineum cards on the train. ;-)

Free:

* Medscape (Be sure to choose to download the entire database when it gives you the choice)

* Epocrates (the free edition)

* Skyscape (the free resources)

* MerckMedicus

* MedCalc

* Micromedex drugs

* MPR (monthly prescribing reference http://www.empr.com)

* ICD9 Consult

* Pedi QuikCalc

* EM-QuickRef

Non-free, but worth it:

* DxSaurus

* Physical Exam essentials

AVOID:

* EyeXam Pro

That will make a great starting point, so do these require internet access or can I download and get to them even without?

• Administrator

All of those will work without Internet access. Medscape is only partially functional, even with the entire database download, since it still fetches pictures off the Internet. On the flip side, most of them have their own in-app database (content) update processes, so you will want to update each of them periodically, as well as check the iTunes store for app updates.

here's what i use:

• epocrates essentials (if your PA school is associated with a med school, PM me and i can give you a link to get it for free)
  • medscape (free!)
  • 5 minute clinical consult (quick way to refresh your memory about a disease in about 30 seconds)
  • micromedex (free!)
  • lexi drugs (expensive, but i think it's the best drug database out there)
  • dxsaurus (i think it's 99 cents, and totally worth it)

i am tempted to buy the sanford guide for iphone, but am going to wait until i hear what more of the reviews say before i buy it.

if you're bored, there's a fun game called prognosis: your diagnosis. the pretest series is useful in downtime as well, but it's quite pricey for you what you get IMHO

@ Greenmood

StudyDroid. You can download the app free from the Market, then go to website to make the cards, then u bounce em over to your phone. It's pretty decent without a huge learning curve and you got your flashcards everywhere you go.

You tube the instructions if you dont understand.

hope this helps.

Interesting idea, thanks.

@ Greenmood

StudyDroid. You can download the app free from the Market, then go to website to make the cards, then u bounce em over to your phone. It's pretty decent without a huge learning curve and you got your flashcards everywhere you go.

You tube the instructions if you dont understand.

hope this helps.

Archived