Doctors Without Boarders

I think it's probably because they don't have to. They have a lot of volunteers. If all those docs and nurses suddenly jumped ship, you can bet they'd find a way to change that policy. Don't worry though. Plenty of other opportunities out there for us.

they use np's because they don't require "supervision" like us poor dumb pa's.

Der... wut's tha mister? :)

Yeah, I know that's their officially-stated reason, but I still think it's a matter of convenience. They aren't properly motivated by necessity to accept PAs. MSF is so famous doctors trip over themselves to sign up, and if you don't *have* to go through the paperwork & effort of arranging supervision for another provider, why bother?

Yep...!!!

Met a few American NPs in bars and tents in Sub-Sahara Africa... and during the ensuing conversation... it basically boiled down to the PA requiring "Supervision."

What would be REALLY COOL is if American PA-Cs could challenge or get reciprosity from the various "Clinical Officer" boards worldwide.

Contrarian

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this was a major issue for me when I was considering PA school. I actually looked into the possibility of NP school instead....for like 5 seconds. HA!

No worries. There's plenty of other opportunities out there!

Archived