Study Abroad Questions Part II

Where would you like to study abroad?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to study abroad?

• Egypt/Jordan/Oman
    • Nepal
    • Latin America
    • China

• 1 month later...

I am finishing up my first year in 27 days (yes, I am counting down!) and 16 of us are going with our director (an ER PA of ten years) to Mali in west Africa to help set up a clinic and do a needs assessment project for medical supplies to be donated by different organizations. Apparently a lot of PA's do things like this. We are going next year with the soon to be first years as well.

With some string pulling we managed to get a lot donated, cheaper vaccinations, and even our plane tickets taken care of! It's definitely something doable and worth looking into. We went from playing with the idea, to "guess what, your tickets on Air Morocco have all been locked in". I know that no experience will compare.

She's gone to Africa quite a few times to help set up clinics, and South America. I don't know about other programs, but I know in my school if you set up a clinical rotation for your second year overseas, they let you go so long as it's a US trained doctor who is your attending.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very old post that has rematerialized. I will mention, that I've taken a student to Nepal since posting this and hope to take students next year. The only problem has been . . . the lack of interest among students. Like LKAP527 mentioned, my student had her entire way paid through scholarships and donations. Think about it. Let me know by Jan 2012. I'm looking for a reason to go back. It was incredible.

This is SO exciting to hear! I would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to have this type of experience during the clinical year (would love to do it now of course, but I'm just a lowly pre-paer for now). I am trying to decide on which programs I will be applying to for this application cycle...

jmj11 - have you been working with one particular school? From the various info I've read it seems that some schools already have established international rotations while those that don't may be open to a student setting up (an approved) rotation. I'd of course be at least 3 years off from doing this...... bummer. But, hey! May as well plan while I have some time!

This is SO exciting to hear! I would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to have this type of experience during the clinical year (would love to do it now of course, but I'm just a lowly pre-paer for now). I am trying to decide on which programs I will be applying to for this application cycle...

jmj11 - have you been working with one particular school? From the various info I've read it seems that some schools already have established international rotations while those that don't may be open to a student setting up (an approved) rotation. I'd of course be at least 3 years off from doing this...... bummer. But, hey! May as well plan while I have some time!

No particular school. Any school with the open-mindedness to allow their student to go.

Mike,

Can you explain how this rotation would work? What I am understanding from the postings is that basically your home University/College would decide if they would let you go abroad... With this students would use your program to complete their rotation? How do the fees work/tuition etc?

Also do you know off the top of your head, besides University of Utah, which PA programs have already established abroad programs?

Thank you

• 4 months later...
Mike,

Can you explain how this rotation would work? What I am understanding from the postings is that basically your home University/College would decide if they would let you go abroad... With this students would use your program to complete their rotation? How do the fees work/tuition etc?

Also do you know off the top of your head, besides University of Utah, which PA programs have already established abroad programs?

Thank you

I have too many irons in the fire today to look up which other schools have official programs but someone here may have that information. U of Wis, Madison had a program, other schools do too and I just can't remember which ones do.

The one student who went with me to Nepal had approval from her program head to use it as part of (1/2) of a clinical rotation elective. She paid the required amount for the trip up front. The school had a scholarship program for overseas clinicals that paid her back 100%. Yes, you would still need to pay your tuition for your credit. The expenses for the trip are the still the same. If you took a clinical in the US, your tuition doesn't cover your gas, food and housing while you are on clinicals does it?

Archived