Do/Did you include your numbers/stats in your PS?

Hi!

I am tweaking my PS around and working on finishing it up. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on including things like the exact numbers and how many hours you have worked/shadowed? Should I just talk about what I have done since they will have seen my hours in other parts of the app, or should I say "In my 2,000 hours of working as a CNA in the home of a recent C5 spinal cord injury patient..." and "Previously, I had only observed these procedures during my 40 hours shadowing a PA in the United States..."

I don't want to sound redundant or like I am throwing my info down their throats. I think it makes for more enjoyable reading without all the numbers, but I'm not the admissions person and I want to give them what they want to see, obviously!

Thanks for your opinion!

This is a good question. I've heard it can go both ways. On one side, it is assumed they have your file in front of them explaining your job duties, hours, etc. On the other, it makes it easier for them to summarize your hours and apply that to why you want to be a PA by having it all in your PS. It will be interesting to see what the 'pros' think about this.

I am generally in favor of somehow including your time spent doing something. I like Crystaltide's spin on it. I always imagine "what if I was tasked with reviewing 150 applications". Personally, I wouldn't want to flip back through the pages of each person's application to double check something. Exact hours and descriptions belong in your other pages, but a quick condensed version I feel is appropriate.

Thanks! I think that I am not going to use the numbers. Since I have been working during undergrad, my numbers are all over the place (40 hours in the summer, 20 during this week of school, 35 that week) so it doesn't divide into months of work the way one would expect.

• Administrator
I didnt because they can see that on my application....my PS focused on why I wanted to be a PA and what attributes would make me a great student and subsequently a good PA

This. There are plenty of other places (e.g., job duties narrative) where such info is more appropriate. Mind you, I last applied 2 cycles ago when the PS word limit was substantially shorter than it is now, but the space and Adcom attention is too precious to waste recounting things that are covered elsewhere. Your PS is the only spot to show off your creativity, soul, values, wit... all the other things that make you more than just numbers

Don't waste your space, you need it for your personal words. Further, it comes across as 'showy', and will likely end up making you look ridiculous compared to other applicants who have many more hours/months/years of experience. Include that information in the appropriate sections of CASPA, and leave your essay for the more personal details.

"my 4000 hours as a paid emt has provided me with invaluable exposure to the human condition under various states of stress. that exposure has shaped me as a professional, and inspired my choice to seek to take on more reasponsibility in the role of a physician assisntant "

I would just say, "my years as a paid EMT ...", has a classier ring to it, more stoic and less desperate. plus, if i were an ADCOM, i'd imagine i'd think, 'what, do they think i don't know how to read an application on my own'?

Another thing to consider ... if an application makes it to the stage where it's being read by an ADCOM, it's likely already passed the stage where experience hours have been approved and calculated. I've participated in interviews, and you get a sheet with all the specifics related to the applicant. The applications of individuals who don't make the requirements get automatically put in the 'no pile'. However, I certainly acknowledge your points, especially the one about some people needing to sound vague for their own sake haha. I do disagree that leaving stats for application sections where they're designated makes someone seem wishy-washy or passive. But different strokes for different folks ... and as long as the essay and experience is strong, I doubt it would make much difference either way. Then again, so much depends on the person reading the essay, for instance, using you and I and our different viewpoints. There are so many factors as to who gets an interview, much less who gets accepted ... in many ways unfair, but that's life.

Archived