Help a girl out

:sweat:

I am almost desperately trying to find a PA or Doc to shadow and cold calling UC Davis' major depts is not working!!

I even called local PAs (using yellow pages) and left messages with contact info to no avail.

Im currently working on becoming a volunteer at the local hospital so that might help at least some, im also in the process of getting my amb drivers license so I can hopefully get a job at the local company (i hear its hard to get on though)

but my question is...what else can i do?

is it even appropiate to essentially cold call these places asking to shadow?

As a PA, how would you like to be approached to be asked to shadow?

I didnt picture it being this difficult especially being within an hour of Davis

thanks

A lot of people will say "no" to shadowing if you just cold call them. A different approach that might work better is to request an informational interview with them (buy them coffee or a meal): ask about how they got to be a PA, what they like/dislike about being a PA, their opinion of the profession, etc. Then at the end of your meeting with them, perhaps you can ask whether you can shadow them -- even if they say "no," you can still ask whether they can refer you to other PAs who you could talk to.

If during your face-to-face meeting with the PA you show genuine interest and develop good rapport, the PA will be much more likely to agree to let you shadow than if they just got cold-called by some faceless person whom they know nothing about.

Good luck!

That is a really good idea id def try but right now the problem is finding a PA to have that interview with im going to keep trying of course...my thoughts could be to either go to uc davis school and see if i could sit in on one of their classes and talk to the students there and get their opinons, then head to the hospital and try and find someone but that seems alittle obtrusive to me and prob wont get the results i was looking for.

LA has an amazing program thatd be nice if there was once here but i def couldnt commute (i live in the bay area).

Thanks for your guys input

Wow, I honestly just signed on with the intention to post a similar thread. I am presently in exactly the same predicament on the other end of the country (Bryn Mawr, PA). I've tried several different avenues in hopes of being referred to a PA contact for an interview/shadow and have not been successful. I currently volunteer in the ER but feel it inappropriate to just waltz up to the docs and ask around about PA's who may be willing to meet with me. Am I wrong? Would they be ok with it? I understand that we have to be proactive with these things but I don't want to cross any lines. It's really frustrating because I do want to hear about the profession from someone first hand (vis-a-vis) and am itching to have the opportunity to bear witness to the PA workday to make tangible all that I have been researching. Hopefully my volunteer coordinator will have some suggestions for me. I appreciate the input from current PA's. It makes sense that they wouldn't want to take someone cold. Perhaps I'll shift my attention to inquiring about a PA interview.

FWIW I just asked my daughter's pediatrician if she could refer me to one of the PA's in her practice that might me willing. Looks like that will be panning out this summer.

Think, if you ask politely and respectfully what is the worst that can happen? They say no? Then go ask somebody else until somebody says yes! :)

ha! thats good, something to consider when at the docs office. I actually looked up all the practitioners in my city and a couple nearby cities and there were NO PA's i think i saw 1 NP but still. that kind of sucks. i dont think i live in a diverse enough area or maybe hospitals dont attract them here...*shrug* but congrats and goodluck!

I'm in the process of applying for PA school this month and so far I only have 8 hours of shadowing from two PAs. It's so hard to find a PA that will let you shadow rountinely. Since I am also the first in my family to step in this career and went to college. It's so hard when you don't have any connection. But I have tryied my best. I got most of my volunteers hours at Cooks Children Hospital. Hope that help. Does anyone have any advise about applying for PA school for me please. Thanks!

I am going through the exact same thing here. I have a few contacts who would be a great source, but they just don't have the same sense of urgency I do. One thing that looks to be beneficial for me is a PT (Physical Therapist) friend and, believe it or not, she has some quality PA contacts that are willing to allow me to shadow. My point in posting, is look outside the box. Ask anyone you may know in the medical field. Like Jfarnsworth said..."network" like crazy. You may be surprised...

I am going through the exact same thing here. I have a few contacts who would be a great source, but they just don't have the same sense of urgency I do. One thing that looks to be beneficial for me is a PT (Physical Therapist) friend and, believe it or not, she has some quality PA contacts that are willing to allow me to shadow. My point in posting, is look outside the box. Ask anyone you may know in the medical field. Like Jfarnsworth said..."network" like crazy. You may be surprised...

BINGO

gotta seperate yourself from the pack somehow - rather it is getting a shadowing or into school

Can just see the interview question now "Jim I see you did not get an opportuinity to shadow a PA yet you are applying to school" ----------- reply "that is correct - I was unable to get a PA to agree to let me shadow them so instead I did ______________"

at this point the school politely places your application in the round file 'aka that round recepticle on the floor which collects things no longer needed'

Seriously, not making light of it but gaining admission into any competitive career field has very logical reasonable barriers to entry to try to allow the motivated to somehow float to the top - (not sure it really works but that seems to be the system..) so figure out a way - get annual physicals with different PA's and when career's come up talk with them - maybe after sitting with you through a whole CP they will decide it would be okay to have you around? Ask you primary care Doc if they have any PA friends that they could recomend you to? Ask your teachers, ask you lawn mowing guy or cable guy... .okay that is a little far out there but you get the point - make it happen.

do you have a PCP? do they have PAs? do they have colleagues with PAs? good place to start; keep it simple. you probably won't be able to cold shadow at big institutions like UC davis b/c of patient privacy/confidentiality, institutional liability, immunizations issues, and b/c you cannot be credentialed to be in places like ORs (although I think surgeons can have guests in, but again, I would try to keep it very simple. talk to the medical providers you know).

shadowing is a big responsibility for a provider and it slows a provider's day down considerably. most providers are under lots of pressure to whip through their pt load, and have lots of documenting to squeeze in between patients. most PAs are glad to have someone shadow b/c medicine is like an apprenticeship and it can only be passed on from those with more knowledge to those with less, and to give lots of opportunities for supervised PRACTICE (why it's called "practicing medicine") :). but it sounds like your kind of hitting the panic button and shooting too big. just ask around people in your town, specialties you're interested in, people you know or who may know others.

Very good advice. I looked at the Kaiser's in my area, well their directory, and no PAs but randomly searching I found out another hospital has PAs so I'm going to use that as an opportunity to get some volunteer HCE until I can get an EMT job. There is also a clinic I applied to but haven't heard back yet.

I need to utilize medical services more though. I haven't been in atleast a year. kittyrn you are right; Davis should've been a last resort not a first. I honestly do appreciate any shadowing opportunities because I know how much it must put out the person, personally and professionally.

i thank everyone for their input because it was seriously at a loss for what to do. I know its not impossible because so many have done it before but I thought it'd be a lot easier. The resources for Pre PAs is really limited (I'd like to change that) especially when theres so much out there for PreMeds, I was really surprised to hear that the Davis PA school had NO outreach for Pre PAs. A couple of months ago I did a tour of the med school and it was so structured and organized. I guess itd help if PA students were on campus more (1 week a month only) to get to meet up with them.

Update: After hitting dead end with my networking, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I invested in a $75 affiliate membership to AAPA. After getting setup, I simply clicked on the directory; filtered my search to closest suburb and got names of 45 practicing PAs. Keep in mind, this list also includes emails of appox 90% of those listed. I sent out an introductory email explaining how I got their info and that I was an affiliate member. Also explained a little about myself and my journey how I got here. Then included a few lines on how "I'm just not having much success with anyone wanting to give me the opportunity to shadow". Whatever I did, it seemed to work. I emailed total of 9 and so far have 4 responses with 3 offers. The one that could allow shadowing, provided some VERY good suggestions for shadowing and employment opportunities to fluff my application with more paid HCE. Not to mention, the ones that did offer shadowing, also offered to put me in contact with other PAs if I needed it. Needless to say...my calendar is quickly filling up. Hope this helps some.

Update: After hitting dead end with my networking, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I invested in a $75 affiliate membership to AAPA. After getting setup, I simply clicked on the directory; filtered my search to closest suburb and got names of 45 practicing PAs. Keep in mind, this list also includes emails of appox 90% of those listed. I sent out an introductory email explaining how I got their info and that I was an affiliate member. Also explained a little about myself and my journey how I got here. Then included a few lines on how "I'm just not having much success with anyone wanting to give me the opportunity to shadow". Whatever I did, it seemed to work. I emailed total of 9 and so far have 4 responses with 3 offers. The one that could allow shadowing, provided some VERY good suggestions for shadowing and employment opportunities to fluff my application with more paid HCE. Not to mention, the ones that did offer shadowing, also offered to put me in contact with other PAs if I needed it. Needless to say...my calendar is quickly filling up. Hope this helps some.

Awesome job! Shows initiative, drive, determination, and focus. Strong work and best of luck. That is a cool story.

Archived