Are there any states left that require onsite presence for a PA to practice?

Hi Fellow PA's!

I'm licensed in NY/NJ and own an aesthetic medicine practice with another PA partner. We are in collaboration with a medical director. This is a newish venture that is legally vetted and set up in a corporate structure that is going quite well. A few months ago, I was asked by a colleague (Plastic Surgeon on the ASPS Board) to speak at the American Society of Plastic Surgery Conference. He asked me to speak on behalf of midlevels regarding "practice ownership," as much as our profession(s) permit. It's a seemingly controversial topic, and I was surprised at the Plastic surgery community's interest. Perhaps, they see where the future is headed for us all and the need to embrace change!

Anyways, back to the subject. I am thoroughly aware of the laws surrounding my practice in NY/NJ, however, I'm not up-to-date on our profession as a whole. I know we can prescribe in all 50 states (some restrictions on levels, signatures etc.), however, I'm uncertain as to if there are any states left that require onsite physician presence for a PA to practice? I know that some states require written documentation when a PA is practicing at their own site. Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance,

Lisa

P.S. He reached out to the AAPA regarding this with no response. Where's the support of our profession?! :-(

Hi Fellow PA's!

I'm licensed in NY/NJ and own an aesthetic medicine practice with another PA partner. We are in collaboration with a medical director. This is a newish venture that is legally vetted and set up in a corporate structure that is going quite well. A few months ago, I was asked by a colleague (Plastic Surgeon on the ASPS Board) to speak at the American Society of Plastic Surgery Conference. He asked me to speak on behalf of midlevels regarding "practice ownership," as much as our profession(s) permit. It's a seemingly controversial topic, and I was surprised at the Plastic surgery community's interest. Perhaps, they see where the future is headed for us all and the need to embrace change!

Anyways, back to the subject. I am thoroughly aware of the laws surrounding my practice in NY/NJ, however, I'm not up-to-date on our profession as a whole. I know we can prescribe in all 50 states (some restrictions on levels, signatures etc.), however, I'm uncertain as to if there are any states left that require onsite physician presence for a PA to practice? I know that some states require written documentation when a PA is practicing at their own site. Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance,

Lisa

P.S. He reached out to the AAPA regarding this with no response. Where's the support of our profession?! :-(

The information is there on the website, but you have to go through each state individually. My recollection is that one of the midwest states required a percentage onsite and Colorado requires Physician presence for first 1000 hour. 

As for contacting, who did you contact? I have found them very responsive if you reach the right person. The right person in this case would be Tricia Marriott.

Senior Director, Regulatory & Professional Advisory Services and Principal, Center for Healthcare Leadership & Management  

tmarriott@aapa.org 

Archived