metal coat hanger in mouth

Just thinking about my own general state of mind during emergencies and this situation came to mind -

What would you do?  To my knowledge, there is not a standard of Tx, other than to minimize damage until surgery can take over.  As long as the airway is patent, no specific treatment in the ER or pre-hospital setting, correct? 

One key take away from EM/EMS review/CME is to scan this area with any penetrating injury.  Too many vascular/neuro structures, especially if penetrates in posterior pharynx.  Same goes for the neck.  EMEDPA, am I hallucinating again?  I recall this as being automatic.

Scan or direct to the OR I would say, depending on surgeon preference.  For someone with a foreign body embedded in their airway (with the possibility of moving and causing significant hemorrhage in the airway), I would be very hesitant to move them to the scanner without first securing the airway.  Depending on the degree of bleeding, hanger location and airway status this might be a patient that would benefit from an awake fiberoptic intubation, or someone who goes directly to a surgical airway.

Archived