Anybody here deliver babies?

As the title says...  The clinic I work for has some changes coming down the pipe over the next several years. 

I'd like to know what PAs who deliver babies think of the practice.  What do you and your physician partners do to set up call and how do you all handle complicated deliveries? 

Just asking around, getting a feel about what options we have. 

Andrew

I don't know of any PAs in the last 15 yrs of my 25 yrs who deliver at all.

98% of family docs in my town quit around 2004 ish when the malpractice quadrupled.

They turned all OB and delivery over to the Gyns.

Quite unusual to hear of a practice adding OB to their regimen.

Fraught with potential issues, in my opinion.

Would like to hear more about what is changing in your part of the world.

We currently do OB - full scope family practice. We are rural and have a hard time finding docs to do OB (or any sane family practice docs, really) so the powers that be have talked about using midwives to help relieve the burden. My thought was that if we're going to use mid-wives, why not just train the PAs to do the job. One of the PAs trained at the site where I work now works with us and did many deliveries during her rotation to the point that the doc who was her preceptor says "yeah, she could do low risk deliveries." Just trying to figure out how we're going to keep taking care of people.

I only catch the easy ones...the ones that accidentally squirt out in the ED. 

Well...so far those have been the easy ones (knock on wood).  

Good luck on getting it lined up for PAs to do OB.  Unfortunately the sharks/Liars will be out to get you.....

me too. most recently 17 yr old "virgin" with kidney stone pain brought in by grandma....

the PAs on the OB services at monte in the bronx and arrowhead in CA do deliveries riutinely. both places have ob pa residencies. many pas stay on after they finish the program on staff.

• 1 month later...

5 of our PAs routinely do deliveries. I have worked alongside residents and attending on the labor delivery and we function similarly to a first or second year resident. I have do about 60 deliveries a year. Now with all the 405 rules for residents and reduced work hours. I work in a city hospital in New York. Several local hospital have PAs on the labor floor.

Archived