Increase hours vs moonlight

I currently practice in the ED with a private group, recently they have offered to increase hours to 200/month with adjustment in 401k and RVU bonus.

While they have made this offer they want our salary to remain unchanged.

Some in the group already moonlight in UC's, I would like to remain solely working for my current practice but do not now how to counter such offer

sounds like they are looking for free labor

sorry - you want me to work more shifts you pay me more

illogical to do it any other way

Totally agree on not working additional for the same total compensation.

However, I got the impression from the OP's query that the practice is looking for ways to offer additional compensation other than salary for some increase in hours.  My interpretation is based on the OP's nonspecific reference to "adjustment in 401k and RVU bonus".  i.e., additional 401k contribution (or matching) on the employer's part would be additional compensation without additional tax expense due (at least in the short term).  Of course it still has to be a worthwhile amount for whatever the additional hours are that they are seeking (OP doesn't say how many hours more 200 is than what OP is currently working).  [i am a big fan of tax avoidance, not evasion, but avoidance!]

I think the math needs to be done

There is NO WAY they could contribute enough EXTRA to the RVU bonus (oh yeah and they can manipulate the #'s to not have to pay this) and the retirement contribution to make up for the extra hours worked - and don't forget you would have already gotten these for the extra hours you would have worked

If this was the typical 160 hour contract, this would be a 40 hour per month increase - at $50/hour that is $2000 per month, $24,000 per year - FAR above what a 401(k) can absorb (especially if you are already contributing)

I am pretty confident that no matter how you do the numbers they will be getting you to work more for less $$$

my per diem rate is $65--$100/ hour so an estimate of $50 is discounted as well.....

work somewhere else. several reasons for this:

gives you a full back plan if anything goes south at primary job.

exposes you to new viewpoints and new ways of doing things.

often gets you in to see a new/different patient population(especially if you go rural to urban or vis versa), which can be a refreshing change and get you out of a burn-out work rut.

I now work for 3 different groups at 5 different place. between all of them doing 180-200 hrs/month. I really like the variety and would hate doing those hrs all in one place.

Archived