PA union

• Administrator

PAs are not taught how to negotiate... but I was.  Seriously, my former long-term employer had a "Negotiating to Win-Win" course that every manager (personnel, project, or program) was welcome and encouraged to attend.  The combination of 1) knowing how to negotiate, and 2) seeing how a bad deal works out helped me get what I wanted.

Problem child - that's not a job you get fired from, that's one that you either 1) walk away from, 2) re-negotiate your compensation, or 3) show them your contract which states you are salaried for a 40 hour work week and then ask them to honor their contract.  If they won't honor it, then you revert to the first option (walk away from it).

You don't need a union to coddle you into their new contract, you need to stand up for yourself as a highly trained professional.

PAs should be paid for every single hour we work.  In the scenario that problem child describes I would vote that the surgical PAs need protection.  Whether that comes from a hospital union or every PA being taught to negotiate pay for OT is the issue.  

PAs are not taught how to negotiate.  PA schools don't teach those skills and it comes with experience.

Has anyone started a negotiation business that can be marketed to PAs.  Hmmmm.  A side business for some smart PA cookie? 

I will!!! thank you, paula - that's genius!!

Problem child - that's not a job you get fired from, that's one that you either 1) walk away from, 2) re-negotiate your compensation, or 3) show them your contract which states you are salaried for a 40 hour work week and then ask them to honor their contract.  If they won't honor it, then you revert to the first option (walk away from it).

You don't need a union to coddle you into their new contract, you need to stand up for yourself as a highly trained professional.

I did leave. when he hassled me (for the last time) about my OT, I first reminded him that he had signed a contract with OT in it for me. his response was, "well contracts are made to be broken". after I stared at him incredulously for 5 or 10 seconds, I then told him I didn't want to hassle over my OT every month; that it was demeaning and made me uncomfortable. I walked a few weeks later.

(it wasn't that job I got fired from, but another that would not re-negotiate to increase the hours (20) I was working needed to get the job done. they decided it was my fault that I couldn't get the job done in 20 hours (simply. not. possible.), and fired me before I knew what was happening).

Good to hear. Hope you got a great job....without the help of a union representative!

I've had several jobs since then, all with the same problem, despite negotiations and "contracts". they just don't want to hear it. I am meeting with HR and the new CMO at my current (most recent) job to address these issues, and the pressures I am under daily to commit to overwork without compensation.

I've had several jobs since then, all with the same problem, despite negotiations and "contracts". they just don't want to hear it. I am meeting with HR and the new CMO at my current (most recent) job to address these issues, and the pressures I am under daily to commit to overwork without compensation.

There's always the need to be a "team player", most importantly for patient care, but also just to make things run smoother.  While I am paid to run the ED, I will sometimes go to the floor to do a procedure, or read an EKG on an admitted patient, so that the primary care doc's don't have to leave clinic or come in in the middle of the night.  I have run to OB to help out as well (THAT is sphincter tightening for me!) And sometimes when we are busy I will stay late, and one time I was called in early because they were slammed - without getting paid extra.  This is no big deal because the same thing happens in inverse....when I get the 4 bad trauma's at the same time, the doc's and every nurse and tech, and even a few administrators, in the hospital come running to help me out.  

But being a team player doesn't mean taking it in the arse all the time.  If I found myself working 50 hours one week (while only getting salaried for 40), that would be no big deal.  If that were a routine occurrence, I would simply start telling my boss that I'm taking next Friday off as a comp day for working so much overtime. " Oh....you need me in surgery next Friday as well?  Okay, then I'll change my plans to take the next Monday off, okay?  Oh, that doesn't work out either?  Well boss....what are we going to do, cause I'm getting paid for 40 hours but consistently working 50??"

Other thoughts:

1) I assume that such schedules are common in the surgical specialties.  On my (TERRIFIC) surgical rotation there was an amazing NP who worked her butt off.  Her schedule was often much like the schedule you described above, but she was VERY well paid, and she was treated like GOLD by the surgeon (who treated everyone very well).  If she needed a day off, she worked it out with the surgeon and took the day off.  

2) If you can't seem to find a job without such problems, then perhaps it is the location you are at.  I don't know from first hand experience, but it seems like midlevels (I know, I know!!!) are not treated well (poor autonomy, poor pay, etc) in places like NYC.  If you can't find a job with good autonomy/pay/respect, then try rural America.   

3) Lastly - is it just one person who is having to work so long of hours to get the job done?  Is this a case of one PA who is a slower worker, so therefore takes 50 hours a week to get 40 hours of work done?  I'm not inferring that this is the case, but that is something that you should reflect upon for at least a little bit.  

But I still stand by my premise, we don't need a union to fix this.  

Archived