worth it to file Veteran's benefit for PTSD, anxiety, etc?

Hello,

I am a vet who participated  in a recent OIF/OEF War and  am currently in PA school. I am eligible to file for the above mental issues along with other physical issues.  Please let me know if it is worth it to receive compensation for these. Would my licensing become an issue? Would I have trouble finding a suitable employment post-graduation? Please let me know. 

I want to know if it is worth getting few hundred extra cash per month.

If you have mental issues that affect your life, then you need treatment. Your health is most important. If you are doing it for disability pay, the headaches associated with licensing, and you will have some while having diagnosed mental disorders, is not worth it.

I'm applying for various state licenses right now. The only questions that I've seen that relates to a mental health disorder is whether or not it constitutes as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or any other psychotic disorder and whether or not the disorder in question has caused them issues in their practice.

OP should not have any issues with PTSD and anxiety, provided they are controlled and do not affect his ability to practice medicine.

I would definitely recommend seeking treatment for these issues.

I'm applying for various state licenses right now. The only questions that I've seen that relates to a mental health disorder is whether or not it constitutes as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or any other psychotic disorder and whether or not the disorder in question has caused them issues in their practice.

OP should not have any issues with PTSD and anxiety, provided they are controlled and do not affect his ability to practice medicine.

I would definitely recommend seeking treatment for these issues.

My understanding was the question dealt with compensation, not treatment, which I encourage him to get if he needs it.

But if I'm wrong, then by all means take the money and go forth.

I was medically retired with TBI, PTSD. It took me a few years to get worked out. Since then I have held a medic license with only one district worried about issues when interviewed. If you need the help get it. If you just need the residual income don't waste your time. The VA has done NOTHING to help me besides trying to put me on 7 medications at one time. But having that on a medical record help me get into equine therapy which changed my life.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I do VA compensation and disability exams as my side job. I doubt it will affect your licensing but you may have to report it to the state medical board.

I would say file if you have nothing to lose, but don't expect to get any benefits. The process is very nebulous, inefficient, and illogical most of the time. Some vets get a 70% disability rating for low back pain and diabetes, and others with severe PTSD, environmental exposure problems, etc get nothing. The metrics we use to "quantify" someone's disability are a freaking joke (it's all based on ROM, "functional loss", and what was actually documented in the military), and the raters I'm convinced have no bearing whatsoever on clinical medicine.

I've been asked to provide detailed documentation and medical rationale for why I didn't perform a full hip ROM assessment on a 101 year-old man in a wheelchair.

Well, I do have some documented medical evidence in service. Also, I only plan to apply for conditions that I suffered while in service (ie chronic knee and back pain). According to someone that works in VA, no one, including the state medical board, can have access to any of my records unless I release it to them. Moreover, unless I feel I am incapable mentally to perform my duty earnestly or become hospitalized for mental breakdown, I do not have to reveal anything to any state medical Board or even the VA itself. However, getting into law enforcement jobs could be hard and problematic, since they often require one to waive medical confidentiality or whatever. Just letting yall know what I was told.

I've applied for licenses in two states(NC and NM) and both applications asked whether you have any mental health issues that will affect your practice of medicine.  If you have anxiety, depression, etc that is adequately under control and does not affect your day to day practice then you don't have to provide any further info. This may vary in other locations.

Archived