Tacoma MEDEX 2015-2016 Applicants

TC2 student here. It seems like yesterday I was feverishly awaiting my interview like you all are. Time flies by as I'm in clinicals now. Good luck to you all. Put your best self forward, smile, and talk to everyone. The people interviewing you are people too, remember that! If you don't have a screaming migraine by the end of the day, you didn't leave it all out there! Avoid the coffee the morning of your interview. Chamomile tea is good for the nerves. Glad to see your all meeting up beforehand. Get plenty of sleep. Again, good luck to you all. If accepted you will journey through the toughest academic challenge of your life, especially if you have a family. It is totally worth it!

Anthony

TC2

Thank you Anthony for your kind words!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately no I did not get an interview last year. I hear it is intense, exhausting, and a pleasurable experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It is a day filled with anticipation and emotion for sure! Glad to get an interview for the second time. It helps a little to know what to expect. I am excited to share with all of my fellow applicants Friday night at the Harmon![emoji4]

see you Friday night!! The weather will have to wait [emoji12]

HM2PA Have you thought about changing your flight? I have a friend in CT who said its starting to snow. If you need a place to hang before you check in, I can help. Let me know. Good luck!

I know that it's late in the game but I thought I'd post a bit about what I did to prepare for the interview, as I was scrounging for any useful info that I could find in the lead-up. I don't know if the steps I took helped me to score  a spot, but they certainly helped my anxieties which were still at an all-time high!

Hope something helps and best of luck to you all! Let's go Tacoma Class 4!!!

The thursday before the interview, I went down to the campus in the evening, around seven. I found where I would park, the route I would take and found the building. I went inside as it was unlocked and found the room, which was also unlocked! I went to the podium and looked at the room and chose where I would want to sit- don't get hung up on this like I did though, because then I was worried that I wasn't going to get the seat that I picked...

You will introduce yourself to the rest of the candidates and staff as one of the first things in the day (short background,) so I stood up from my seat and gave my introduction a few times to the empty room and the friend that came with. On the day of the interview, my intro went nothing like I had practiced (because I was terrified,) but it was still helpful to have seen the rooms, known where the bathrooms were and not have it be my first exposure.

I went on the MEDEX faculty website and read all the biographies of the staff the week before. I brought a small notebook and in it, I jotted down a few notes. I wrote down talking points so that if you find yourself either interviewing with someone or talking casually in downtime, you can have something to talk about and it shows that you do your research and care about the program as well as others. It was nice to look at the list of interviewers that I would be with and be able to picture their face in my mind and have a bit of a background on them.

Also, I wrote a very brief summary with dates of the history of MEDEX (which you can find on their website.)  If you are asked about the history of the program, you will look pretty top notch if you can rattle off a few important times in the programs history other than the standard, "it was the second program after Duke."

Smile your silly little face off. People find others more trustworthy, pleasant, and confident when they are smiling. It's a very serious day and I'm not advising that you be a joker, but keep a smile on as much as you can when appropriate.

Make sure that you lean forward in the direction of the person that is addressing you, speaking to the group, or that you are addressing. Most candidates will sit very straight up with good posture- but leaning forward shows that you are interested and focused. My back hurt by the end as I literally leaned slightly forward all friggin day... It seems so trivial but I really did feel more invested in what was being said and felt that I looked as such. 

Keep your hands above the table- not in your lap. I had my hands casually open, palms down, directed towards the person I was dialoguing with. Sitting forward and hands on the table are tips that a hiring boss of mine advised me of- I'm not sure of the psychology- after all- I'm gonna be a PA (and not in psych!)

It should go without saying but, don't chew gum. At least not in the interview portions.

And as the old cliche goes- JUST BE YOURSELF!

Hope some of this helps ya and I'll be excited to see who will be joining us as part of MEDEX Tacoma class 4!

HM2PA Have you thought about changing your flight? I have a friend in CT who said its starting to snow. If you need a place to hang before you check in, I can help. Let me know. Good luck!

Thanks! I should be alright getting out there honestly.  We have some snow now, but nothing major is scheduled until Friday night, and my flight is the first out Friday morning. I'll be at SeaTac by 11am.  Getting home might be another story... haha oh well!  Overcoming adversity makes for the most interesting stories

John330 it's comforting to see that someone else was as anal-retentive about preparing for the interview as I was. Your narrative is all too familiar. Taking these steps along with meeting other applicants the night before allowed me walk in to the interviews with much less anxiety than I had anticipated. The only advice I would add is to create an opportunity in each interview to display your personality and personal interests. In essence don't be too square and give them something to remember you by.

Good luck everyone. I'm excited to see who our new classmates will be. Once you get the good news come join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/921906747889778/

Hi there! I wanted to wait just a little longer before making the reservation- I'll make it this week, and I'll certainly make the reservation for 15 people, it'll also be under the name "Olivia"

Hi! I am here for the January 23rd interview as well!  But I will be interviewing for Anchorage Class #8. Do you mind if I join you guys? I believe they are combining the Tacoma and Anchorage interviews. I would love to meet you all! 

-Tien

Hi! I am here for the January 23rd interview as well! But I will be interviewing for Anchorage Class #8. Do you mind if I join you guys? I believe they are combining the Tacoma and Anchorage interviews. I would love to meet you all!

-Tien

Absolutely! 7pm at "the Harmon" plenty of room!!

What a bunch of impressive folks we had today!! My brain is dead but I had such a great time with you guys! I might take a little nap but you guys did fantastic! It was an honor to meet everyone. Good luck, and keep that phone nearby. ;)

Katie

I agree! What a super fun and draining day! I had a great time and can only hope for the best for each of us! Now back to the waiting game ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So nice meeting all of you! What a positive,  enthusiastic and fun group! I really enjoyed your unique personalities, LAUGHS AND THE REAL YOU! I love it! I pray we ALL GET IN, SERIOUSLY! 

I MUST SAY, THE LONG WALK YESTERDAY WAS LIGHTEN BY YOUR COMPANY! THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING MY DAY A WONDERFUL AND UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE! 

GOOD LUCK MY DEAR  PALS! 

CECI

Archived