Hospitalist new grad offer

Hey sorry to post yet another job offer but I really could use your help.

I just graduated last and like most new grads I had some difficulty finding a position with a lack of real world work experience. I initially took a nocturnal hospitalist. I really enjoyed my in-patient medicine rotation and thought taking this position would be a good place to start but after reading posts about similar jobs in the same field of medicine from other users I think I should have took another job.

I work the typical 7on/7off nights so basically covering floor calls and doing admissions from the ER. Pretty much my entire job. I have read about the horrors of most new grads being taken advantage of and overworked but I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I am extremely bored and tired of this job. The staff is friendly but I find the work dull. I don't mind nights but I just can't find the joy I had when I initially started. During my rotations while I was in school I actually found my inpatient medicine rotation to be the most challenging and exciting. The rotation was during the day so perhaps that was the part I enjoyed the most.

Salary is 85k with health/dental/vision supplemented, 403b with 2% match, 1500 CME, 3weeks PTO. Salaried position. No bonuses.

I have been here for about 5 months now. Should I just stick it out for a year and see if it gets better or just start looking for a new position? I think that since I specialized so early I don't think I can sell my limited skills to another specialty.

I don't feel like a nocturnist is "to specialized" especially when compared to like an ortho spine or say a deem job

What didn't you like about the job? Besides boring

Only reason I ask is cause I'm graduating July 30 and have a site visit/interview at my old hospital where I was an Emt for a Nocturnist position. I've had 2 phone interviews with the hospital talent guy and the the medical director of the Hospitalist team and from those I really think the position would be fun. It's basically like yours, the night shift PA is in charge of all ER admissions which he says can be 5 to as many as 25/night, but that no one can do 25 in a night. Then we'd merely try and line them and and get them tee'd up so to speak for the morning crew. Pay is similar but with a new night diff % most likely coming into play it'd be near 100k for 3-12s as a new grad.

Did you just not like being alone?

Or redundant admissions?

Not a night person?

Anyone can feel free to chime in and give me advice as well. I'd much appreciate it :)

I don't feel like a nocturnist is "to specialized" especially when compared to like an ortho spine or say a deem job

Only reason I ask is cause I'm graduating July 30 and have a site visit/interview at my old hospital where I was an Emt for a Nocturnist position. I've had 2 phone interviews with the hospital talent guy and the the medical director of the Hospitalist team and from those I really think the position would be fun. It's basically like yours, the night shift PA is in charge of all ER admissions which he says can be 5 to as many as 25/night, but that no one can do 25 in a night. Then we'd merely try and line them and and get them tee'd up so to speak for the morning crew. Pay is similar but with a new night diff % most likely coming into play it'd be near 100k for 3-12s as a new grad.

Or redundant admissions?

Not a night person?

Anyone can feel free to chime in and give me advice as well. I'd much appreciate it :)

yeah I have a site visit in august for a nocturnist position thats 3-12s a month, 1900-0700, and was told that base pay for new grads is 80-85k, +15% bump for night diff, so around 92-97K starting for a new grad, which is quite good for 13 shifts a month, and a new grad. 

yeah I have a site visit in august for a nocturnist position thats 3-12s a month, 1900-0700, and was told that base pay for new grads is 80-85k, +15% bump for night diff, so around 92-97K starting for a new grad, which is quite good for 13 shifts a month, and a new grad.

That pay is awful. What area are you in?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It is in Colorado. From the AAPA salary report anywhere in the U.S. New grads are 80-90k in any specialty. I am all for higher wages but I feel that you all have experience and I expect if I had 1-3 years of experience or 10+ I should make a lot more than this, but we are new grads. With 0 experience. So places that start on a tiered pay start new grads at the bottom.

Or redundant admissions?

Not a night person?

Do you have someone to consult with if something throws you for a loop? As a new grad, I would highly recommend that (even if you were a superstar in school and on rotations).

Archived