what do you think of this Primary Care package?

Hey guys and gals,

I recently interviewed w/ a major (corporate) multi-specialty group for a position in P.C. I have been practicing for a little under a year and looking for a change to cut my long traveling hours and not having to worry about changing jobs often. Out of their multi locations, 3-4 are close to my house (<1hr commute, one of them 10 minutes walk). Location is great, package is better than what I have currently, but I would still like to receive more knowledgeable feedback on the specs...

The specs: 

salary: 90-95K

hours: M-F total 45hrs (includes two late shifts a week) + 1 Sat/month (4hrs) (work 4hrs less the following week when I work Saturday)

Pt load: ~ 20-30/day uses EMR

Malpractice: Fully covered up to 3 Million (I believe), but I am not sure yet if it's claims or occurrence-made

Health benies: health, dental and vision

Retirement:  ? (I'll ask them soon)

Recert & Professional Expenses: (I'll ask them soon)

Other: 25 PTO, 10 holidays, 5 CME days w/ $2500, 5 sick days (total 45 days/yr)

Turn over: Low (per recruiter)

what do you think? Anything I should inquire more about?

your suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated!

~PAC

• Administrator

Still some holes.  The number of patients to be seen per day seems relatively high--I'd take that job for $45/hour, plus charting ON THE CLOCK and time and a half for anything over 40 hours per week.

This sounds very similar to what I had at Group Health initially, which was a reasonable deal until they want you to see more and more people, and if they can keep cramming people in and you have to chart on your own time--so 45 hours per week becomes 60, or you can start cutting corners in patient care.  Remember, if they say "20-30", they mean "30, maybe more if we can get it out of you..."--no big group has any soul or ethics, they are run by MBAs to whom the patients are not people but revenue streams.

if you see 20 patients a day for 5 days (your min) and you get $80 per patient as income to the clinic - that is $8000 income in a week and you are getting $2000 in salary - cover you overhead with another $2000/week - and you are costing them $4000/week but making them $4000 profit per week

Numbers are not that simple but you get the idea that you are making them ALOT of money

I would say a few things

1) you get control of your schedule - front office needs to review with you

2) you get full access to your billing and collection data

3) anything over 200% of you salary in one month an you get 25% - ie you make $8000/month - once the clinic gets $16,000 in receipts you start a 25% bonus of collections

4) you need to get more in writing on days off, hours worked over 40, forced overtime, scheduling, ENSURE their is NEVER a call committment(and if so it is compenstated)

5) I would put a absolute CAP on the number seen in a day/week - ie 30/day, 120/week - this stops them from just overworking you

MUST get everything in writing.......

If you are working 45 hours per week every week except for vacations your hourly rate comes out to 40/hour.  With benefits of course that could possibly be reasonable, but honestly seeing 20-30 patients a day they are going to make a killing off of you, and honestly I don't think as professionals we should accept that low of pay.    You could calculate that extra 5 hours at a per hour rate and ask for that on top of the offered salary,  which would be another 10k, or ask if they would offer a production bonus.  I get 5% of total collections which I think is pretty standard, or you could ask for 25% of whatever you bring in after you collect double your salary.  I work 24 hours a week and bring in around 200k in collections so you could possibly bring in double this.  If you haven't had a bonus on collections keep in mind this is on total collections, not what is billed.  Everything you bill will not be collected so that has to be kept in mind.  I would also ask them what you are bringing in every six months to a year.  I really think that allows the practice and yourself to realize that you are a benefit to the practice monetarily and of course to your patients. 

I would also look at your retirement benefit and ask about that.  I do not have any other benefits because I do not need them with my husband being military, but they do give a 3% of my salary profit sharing into  my 401k.  You should definitely get something with that.  I have worked at the low end with 3%, and then worked another place that contributed 18% of my salary, it came out to 18k per year, in Interventional Radiology... 

Archived