New grad obgyn offer

Hi all,

I have recently been offered a FT position in a private obgyn practice with multiple offices that employs both PAs and NPs. So far, I have only had one brief conversation about the offer over the phone. For context, this is in southern New York.

This practice uses day rates instead of hourly rates. The reason given for this was efficiency using EMR. Without experience, starting would be $280/day for 5 days a week with ability to work a 6th day if I so choose. This rate would be revisited in a few months after being trained. When I asked specifically after how many months this usually occurs, I was told 3-6. I was also told that my first few months there would consist mostly of training, which is also why they pay less. At 3 months I would get 3 sick days and 2 personal days. After 6, I would get 2 weeks paid vacation and paid holidays. Additionally, I would receive $2000 CME and licensure renewal would be covered. Malpractice and medical was also included. When I asked if there was a contract to read over, I was told that they only do contracts for physicians and usually just have a form to sign for PAs, which I assume is an offer letter.

I do feel that this number is low despite being a recent grad and I am concerned that there is no contract that I can read over. I am also hesitant to rush to accept an offer just because I am a recent grad and need experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

That's what I thought which is why I asked for a higher starting salary.  However, I was asked for another interview today at a large teaching hospital with its own PA program for an emergency medicine position.  I am hoping to interview as soon as possible since I have to turn in paperwork for this offer this week.  Even though I feel like I would be trained well at the obgyn practice, I feel like turning down an ER position that is willing to hire a new grad and is familiar with teaching would be hard to do.  Also, transitioning from EM to another field would be easier than vice versa.  What are your thoughts, EMEDPA?

Archived