coffee

Does grade replacement make a big difference / What are my chances?

Hello,

I graduated with a very low GPA due to nothing but poor study habits.  After retaking a few classes since graduating, I've raised my CASPA cGPA to 3.3 and sGPA to 3.1. Because this is still very low compared to the average accepted PA applicants, I expect to get a lot of rejections from many schools.

With Western U's grade replacement, my cGPA is 3.48, sGPA is 3.52, and pGPA is 3.56! This puts me around the average of the school's accepted applicant stats. My question is, will the grade replacement really put me on the same playing field as people who have CASPA GPAs of ~3.5, all else being equal? Will it prevent my application from being automatically discarded and help give me a shot at an interview? I have ~1100 as a Medical Assistant

Any feedback/advice/encouraging anecdotes would be appreciated. This school is my top choice -  I absolutely loved the environment during my visit and I know an awesome PA who graduated from here (the one I'm getting the letter from!). 

Grade replacement helped me to get in Western. I think I had like 3 classes that I took over. All off my retakes were As if that matters. You just need to get to an interview and do your thing. They seem to look at the application as a whole. Just work on a stellar personal statement.

You seem to be in the right track. I don't remember my GPAs but if I recall correctly, they were similar to yours, maybe slightly higher.

Don't expect rejection! Be positive and put YOUR best app out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I didn't get an interview the first time I applied to Western. I retook classes and was able to drive my GPAs much higher, got an interview the second time around and got in! I think your GPA's look great, and they will look at you on the same playing field. Just make sure you have a strong personal statement and a strong secondary application! You can message me if you have any further questions. Good luck! 

I believe that your grades are right on point. The only thing that you could work on is more HCE hours ????

Update for the curious: I got an interview invite! Huzzah!

(Also I never received confirmation on my recalculated GPA.)

• Upvote 1

Update for the curious: I got an interview invite! Huzzah!

(Also I never received confirmation on my recalculated GPA.)

coffee,

CONGRATULATIONS! That is major news! It is always nice to read a success story like yours. You and I are in the same boat. My GPA in the first 2 years of undergrad was extremely low due to poor study habits. It took so much time, effort, and energy to raise it up, but it has all paid off, and I am a first-year student at WesternU now. Your recalculated GPA is definitely very competitive. You are one step closer to your goal. Good luck to you, practice running through some questions w/ your friends and family, and hopefully, I will see you around campus next year. Congrats again!

Best,

PrheePA

Late update: unfortunately, I was (and still am) waitlisted. So I'm getting ready to re-apply this cycle and will definitely have to work on my interview skills. Thanks for all your encouragement!

You may still get in. Don't give up hope. People will get accepted to other schools and withdraw. Some people have accepted and are just holding a place waiting for other shoes to fall. Keep hope alive!!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

SoCalPA, I was just accepted off the waitlist today!! Wow, I made this post nearly exactly a year ago. Ahhhhhhh I'm still in shock.

• Upvote 1

Yes!!!!! I told ya you can do it. You won't regret all the hard work. Western is a great school. They will work your ass off but you'll be ready for the boards!!!!! Enjoy the summer

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ttnPA
      Hi guys, 
      I am currently an undergrad about to graduate in May with a bachelor of science in Neuroscience. I'm hoping to get some advice/insight on my application and stats. 
      cGPA: 3.4
      sGPA: 3.2
      Last 60 hrs: 3.7
      PCE: 
      ER scribe: 2000+ (I understand not all school accepts this as PCE but the schools I will be applying to does)  MA?: 700 hrs. (I worked at a Chiropractor office about 2 years ago. I didn't have a job title but my duties included triage, assisting physician in minor procedures, and acting as a medical translator between the patient and the physician) Would this still count?  Medical Assistance: About to begin this job in May at a local urgent care near my house. Will be train on the spot and hopefully get certified in a few months. Volunteer: 
      Children Hospital: 60+ hours Volunteer at local hospital in high school: 50 hours (Don't know if this would still count) Shadowing:
      30+ hours ER PA (2 separate PA) 10 hours cardiology PA pending shadowing with ICU PA  LOR:
      ER physician  ER Physician ER PA Cardiology PA GRE: taking in May 
      So, I understand both of my GPA is on the lower side. I did dual enrollment as a high school student and my transfer GPA after starting college was 3.8. Sadly, something very unfortunate happened in my life a week before my first semester and it became really tough balancing school, my life, and my mother's medical issue. I was also a Biology major and very confused about what I wanted to do in my life during this time. Took a bunch of classes I never needed (wasted money) and made B's on most of them and 1 C. Then, the following year my mother's health worsened and stupidly during this time I decided to take O-chem while all of this was happening.  I ended up failing my first class ever with a D. It took a while for me to bounce back but I eventually did and passed O-chem the second time I retook it. Since then, I've changed my major to Neuroscience (LOVE IT) and have made A's in most of my classes and 2-3 B's in others. 
      Is there anyway to improve my application? I am planning to apply this cycle regardless just to get familiar with the process and hopefully I get an offer or two. However, I am prepare to accept the fact that I may not get in this year so that means I might have a "gap" year to improve myself. I would appreciate any advice/insight! Thank you for taking your time to read this!
    • By KellyBeth
      Hi everyone,
      I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!
      Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    • By beavpa
      I have some concern about my A&P GPA meeting the prerequisite requirement for PA school. As most of you know many PA schools have a minimum GPA requirement of a "B-" or 3.0. In my first term of A&P lab I received a C+, which doesn't meet the minimum requirement. But my overall A&P GPA (3 quarters of lecture and laboratory) does meet the minimum GPA requirement. What will PA schools look at, my individual letter grade or my overall A&P GPA? 
    • Guest JohnT
      By Guest JohnT
      if  I were to earn A's in all of my needed science classe, what are my chances for getting accepted to PA school after graduation?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More