PA school decision

I am fortunate to have been accepted to my top two choices for PA school. However, I am having a difficult time deciding between the two and was hoping for some advice. The schools are actually pretty similar in regards to teaching methods and  curriculum. The biggest difference is that program 1 offers 4 elective rotations and program 2 offers 2 elective rotations and a 6-week preceptorship in family practice or internal medicine. 

Program 1 has had 3 graduating classes and good PANCE pass rates (100% for 2014). It is a prestigious private school located in a large city. The cost of tuition is around $80,000 total and it is estimated that living expenses would cost an additional $25,000/yr. 

Program 2 matriculated it's first class last year. There is no PANCE data and no personal testimony for the clinical sites, which is my biggest concern. However, this program was more impressive to me than some of the well-established programs I had visited during the interview process. The program is located very close to my friends and family. The cost of tuition is around 60,000 total and living expenses would be about 12,000/yr.

So here is my biggest question:

Is it worth taking out an extra 46,000 in loans to go to a more established, well-known PA school?

• Administrator

You've really got to make that call for yourself, based on what is important to you.  Here's some additional questions I would suggest asking:

- Of the two school locations, which one would you more like to work at/around?  You're going to have an easier time getting a license and finding a job in the location where you're getting trained.

- Do you have a burning desire to go into a particular specialty right away?  If so, the more established program is likely (but not guaranteed!) to have better prospects for placing you into the rotations that will make you an attractive new grad for that specialty.

- Is being debt-free important to you?  I suggest running the numbers, because compound interest means the price difference between the two schools will not be straight linear, but the more expensive will end up costing you even more in the long run through increased interest expenses.

Nothing in what you say puts up any red flags about either choice, in my mind.

Best wishes--this is a good problem to have!

You've really got to make that call for yourself, based on what is important to you. Here's some additional questions I would suggest asking:

- Of the two school locations, which one would you more like to work at/around? You're going to have an easier time getting a license and finding a job in the location where you're getting trained.

- Do you have a burning desire to go into a particular specialty right away? If so, the more established program is likely (but not guaranteed!) to have better prospects for placing you into the rotations that will make you an attractive new grad for that specialty.

- Is being debt-free important to you? I suggest running the numbers, because compound interest means the price difference between the two schools will not be straight linear, but the more expensive will end up costing you even more in the long run through increased interest expenses.

Nothing in what you say puts up any red flags about either choice, in my mind.

Best wishes--this is a good problem to have!

Hi Rev- I didn't create this post, but your comment generated a question for me to ask. I am in a similar situation as the OP. I know that new programs don't have any PANCE data, and it seems like most people believe a big portion of PA school is self-taught...that being said, if accepted to 2 programs and one is newer and without any PANCE data, but the newer program has a clinical year structure that appeals to me more than the established program, then I shouldn't necessarily turn down the newer program just because it's new? Hope that made sense. Basically: well-established program has a less appealing clinical year to me, new program: more appealing clinical year structure. Thank you in advance!

FWIW, for the 'new' programs I considered, I looked at the backgrounds of the program leadership. It's still subjective, but if they have a positive track record of experience leading a previous program, it may increase your comfort level that the new program will anticipate and avoid many potential issues that could impact your educational endeavors.

Rev- Thank you for your response. I don't really have a strong preference for working in one area over the other. As of right now, my plan is to go into primary care so the 6-week preceptorship seems favorable to me. Being debt-free is also very important to me. I would prefer to pay off my loans as soon as possible after graduation so that I am not throwing money away on interest payments. For these reasons I am leaning toward program 2. However, I am wondering if graduating from a more well-known school will look favorable to future employers? 

• Administrator

However, I am wondering if graduating from a more well-known school will look favorable to future employers? 

General consensus seems to be that this doesn't matter much, except that local graduates from a good school (not necessarily big name school, but one that turns out good grads) may have a local boost.

I have two toddlers and the newer program keeps you in the same town for your entire clinical year. Wouldn't have to worry about being gone from my kids 5-6 weeks at a time for a distant rotation.

No brainer. Go to the new program that keeps you local. While I think some programs likely do a better job with their charges, that is difficult to ascertain looking from the outside, especially when there is tremendous competition for few spots. Employers really dont have insight into programs and whom is 'best'. Likely a lot io employers dont care, they need someone in the position that is competent and can do the work.  Anecdotally I have had students that have been away from their young families for lengths of time during rotations. It is a distraction for them (understatement). 

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Program 2 matriculated it's first class last year. There is no PANCE data and no personal testimony for the clinical sites, which is my biggest concern. However, this program was more impressive to me than some of the well-established programs I had visited during the interview process. The program is located very close to my friends and family. The cost of tuition is around 60,000 total and living expenses would be about 12,000/yr.So here is my biggest Is it worth taking out an extra 46,000 in loans to go to a more established, well-known PA school?

Go with your gut. Stay close to your support system. Be there for your family as much as you can while a PA-S. just saying.

I have two toddlers and the newer program keeps you in the same town for your entire clinical year. Wouldn't have to worry about being gone from my kids 5-6 weeks at a time for a distant rotation.

Ditto what I said to the other poster. I have seen a good number of PA students have to leave their families to attend school. Some it worked out okay, some it didn't. The one thing I do know from personal experience as well as watching others...you never get that time back with your family.At the end of the day that time is important. FWIW. If you have the opportunity to stay close to home and go to a program...take it and don't look back.

I'd stick with the closer one so you don't have to be away from home as often. I was kind of in the same position as you and I went with the program that keeps rotations within an hour's drive of the program, which isn't bad at all. It's also closer to my family - I can drive back home instead of having to take a plane. Plus I know myself... I wouldn't be happy re-locating every month or so. I'm the type of person that likes to decorate my living space and make it homey and cozy. I wouldn't like living out of a suitcase. I would if I HAD to... but if there are other options available, I'd PREFER to just live in one apartment for the duration of PA school. 

Archived