"Just helping out" another group: is hourly rate enough?

I'm not leaving my "some evenings and some weekends" schedule in urgent care, but I would like to add to it a little, and eventually move toward a more 9-to-5 situation. The folks in another specialty area like me, and have an opening that's perfect: one day a week, on the day my spouse stays home. Perfect for the child care angle.

My main job is in a union, so the hourly wage is set, and known (and pretty okay) at around $x/hr -- plus really decent benefits. For the new "16h a pay period" deal, there would of course be no benefits, and they're saying pay is also right around $x/hr. It's in a different part of the larger organization, so it's not union, but they tell me they like to keep it consistent and easy.

The question is, since there are no benefits, is it cool if I just ask them for 10% or 15% more per hour, on general principle? Theoretically if they wanted to hire me full-time in this other area, they would be adding benefits to the wage.

If I just take the $x, am I letting them take advantage in some small way, or is one day a week just not worth the potential ruffling of feathers? It's all been very informal and cool so far, as we've gone through interviews that were really more get-to-know-you meetings.

For what it's worth, my mind is open to seeing where things go, but I've been upfront about how my longer-term plans involve working 9 to 5 in a different area, not this one.

Benefits, generally speaking, are about 30% of a full time employees total compensation package.  I don't see why you couldn't ask for up to an additional 30% using the reasoning that you won't be getting benefits.  If they counter with the argument that they like to keep things consistent and easy you could argue that this is consistent and easy given the total compensation of their full time employees.

If this place truly wants you as a solution with a one day a week contribution, then they should pay up.

If they have any insight into the workplace at all, they should realize that first, finding someone willing and able to work one day a week is hard to find. Second, your premium hourly salary due to no benefits for one day really will only amount to <$200 or so more than what they would pay you for the day. Sure over the course of the year they would pay you  a 5-10k premium but you are giving them a full day a week that they didnt have before. 

In the end, it's just business. So is the rate you are being presented at a level that you will make this your business?

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Good points, all. Thank you.

I believe the deal is, at this point, everyone seems to agree I'll be getting this gig, although there hasn't been a formal offer letter. I guess when I get that, I'll have to be as diplomatic as possible with the HR person and see if they agree with the (very solid) logic above. I'll ask for $x+10 rather than $x, which is about 20% more, as a show of my own good faith. And I'll even volunteer to keep it quiet, in case any of the other APP's didn't think to negotiate a bit.

It's true, they're helping me branch out a bit, and whether this helps me out longer-term or not, I like the low stress and extra cash per paycheck. But that doesn't mean it isn't business, as you say. And the whole point of me doing this one day a week is that somebody else doesn't have to try and split their day between two sites on that day.

I think both sides have probably tipped their hands way too much for this to be considered anything like a normal process, but still. Can't hurt to ask... if I can ask properly.

Archived