I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Guest jcapers

Major complication seen in a patient with portal htn/ascites is SBP.Not to mention hepatic renal syndrome,hemorrhage,metabolic changes(hypoglycemia,hypokalemiahyponatremia, and hypophosphatemia)Oh,I forgot to mention cadiovascular changes due to hypovolemia which in turn decreases cardic output.One more,encephalopathy.Pahopeful,I hope this helps your inquiry.By the way ,I too am a PA-S at UNTHSC. I'm in the 2005 class and my b-day is also on 02-14.Its a small world.

Okay, we all know infection is a cause of fever. Name 5 other causes. While you're at it, hyperpyrexia refers to elevation above ? degrees C and F and hypothermia is ? (rectal temps).

Cancer of all kinds can cause fever as well as rarer things like tumor lysis syndrome.

Speaking of tumor lysis syndrome, anybody know the signs/symptoms and conditions associated with it??

Okay, we all know infection is a cause of fever. Name 5 other causes. While you're at it, hyperpyrexia refers to elevation above ? degrees C and F and hypothermia is ? (rectal temps).

hyperpyrexia >106 degrees F

mild hypothermia 32-35 degrees C

moderate hypothermia 29-32 degrees C

severe hypothermia <29 degrees C

I'm not sure if these are rectals but I do know that they are based on measurements of core temperature which can be measured a couple of different ways (bladder, rectum, esophageal).

Am I on the right track?

I think I am a fool because I am thinking that I should know these off the top of my head, but a little birdy tells me the PA-S people are looking them up.

LOL!

If you knew all these, then you'd miss out on the fun of learning :p

And that's what we're here for, right?

This one stumped me too, when I first saw it, but I posted it once I saw the answer because we all learned it in micro (hint).

c'est Botulism!

"The classic feature of botulism is a descending, painless symmetric paralysis. There may or may not be accompanying symptoms of gastroenteritis (Rosen’s Emergency Medicine, 5th. Edition, pg. 1524). "

This threw me for a loop, because I associate GI sx with food poisoning. I did a little exploring, and found a LOT of contradictory info. Here's what I found -

1. What all the sources have in common is that botulism presents as a descending, symmetrical paralysis, beginning with cranial nerve involvement - diplopia, fixed/dilated pupils, dysphagia, xerostomia. Sensory function and mental status are normal, though there may be agitation. It is the descending/symmetrical part that separates botulism from other paralyses.

2. There is a lot of contradictory info out there on where or not n/v/d is the first presenting sx. Rosen's and Harrison's both say that the GI sx may present before OR after the paralytic sxs. Goldblaum's Toxicology and Current say that GI sxs come first.

3. Some sources say that food-borne botulism always occurs with groups of people, but other sources report food-borne botulism occuring in some individuals and not in others who ate the same food. The sources that report botulism in individuals have documented cases presented, and the sources that report groups only did not have sources.

4. The studies that looked into individual cases of botulsim also reported that every case was initially misdiagnosed in the ER.

5. Wound botulism, not the gangrenous kind, is being found in IVDAs. (Rare presentation, but new info to me).

6. Infant botulism is only associated with honey in less than 20% of the cases.

Medicine is so cool (and I'm such a nerd)... :p

I think I am a fool because I am thinking that I should know these off the top of my head, but a little birdy tells me the PA-S people are looking them up.

LOL!

Aw Marlene...if I can even think of one possible differential for some of these I'm proud! Usually I'm into the electronic reference books lookin em up...that's not cheating by the way (and I would know, I started this thread..haha!)

pahopeful

• 4 weeks later...