contract

I have been a pa for 16 years with 12 years in gi. I will be renegotiating my contract as one of our docs is leaving. I will be asked to see more patients in the office and take call every other weekend. Currently I am making 95000.

Any suggestions on what is should ask for a raise

I agree at least 110K or 120K.  After 16 years if experience you should be making a lot more than your current salary.  How much more work will it be?  How many more patients?  Is the group planning on replacing the physician eventually?  If you will be doing 1 1/2 times more work ask for 1 1/2 times your salary. 

Seriously. 

• Administrator

Realize that no one will give you a 15-25k lump sum raise, no matter how good you are.  Managers won't fold on salary like that, so if you want to get paid what you deserve, you need to be willing to leave if they won't chart a path to correcting your pay--$5k per year for the next three years might be a start that gets you appropriately compensated and lets them save face.

I have been in GI for 12 years, you are definitely underpaid especially considering the call.  I work 26 hours a week and one weekend I take the pager a month and am making close to what you are making now.  I know my collections and I still bring in at least twice what I make in salary in benefits.  They are making a good bit of money off of you if you are even moderately productive.

I would ask for 120k.  It may be an uphill battle, but you can point out that one doc is leaving and you are taking more call. 

We recently hired a hospitalist GI PA and I believe they offered him 130k, he works Monday-Friday 8-5, no weekends or holidays.  For an experienced PA that is taking on a lot of responsibility and call, that is a reasonable amount of compensation. 

shoot high

all they can do is say no

lots goes into this situation - too much for a public forum

I would say get the AAPA salary data

aim for the 75% percentile if you are average (be honest with yourself) and 90% if you are really functioning like a doc****

I do not have this data but i am guessing you should be in the $130k range with that many years in one specialty

The thing about AAPA data is they can also use it against you - so you also might consider just making a great sales pitch and figuring out roughly what you are generating for the practice - and then ask for a reasonable heafty raise..... and if they don't  give you are raise ask for more bennies

ie 5k in CME to spend as you see fit, a new lap top every two years, pay for your cell phone bills, large 401k matching or travel expenses if you cover multiple places

I think GI docs are in the 250k range so 130k is more then reasonable for you

Archived