Question for PA's particularly in California

Currently, I'm a 2nd year PA student in NY and I plan on moving over to San Francisco within the next couple of months. (I graduate this upcoming June) It's a little nerve wrecking because I'm having a hard time finding a PA job that doesn't require experience. I've joined CAPA and constantly look at indeed.org for job listings. I've applied to some PA positions already, but I haven't received any feedback. I'm an excellent student (3.82 GPA) and I have multiple healthcare experiences on my CV (physical therapy aide, CNA, etc). I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Will some hospitals/clinics/private practices not consider me if I'm not already certified? Will they not consider me if I don't have that PA experience? Would anyone recommend any hospitals within that region that might be interested in hiring a new grad? (It doesn't necessarily need to be in the Bay area either; I don't mind commuting out 40-50 min)

Any advice would be great!

First of all thank you for supporting your state organization.

To be honest its going to be tough to find a job in that area. Both northern California and Southern California have a lot of new grads entering the market. Unfortunatley, the bay area not only has alot of PAs but alot of NPs. Its not all doom and gloom, I might just take you moving to the area and activley searching for jobs; pounding the pavement submitting CVs in person. Sometimes it can be a little easier once you have graduated, passed the PANCE and licensed in the State. Keep working at it, you will find someting, might not be in the field that you want or the $$ you want but you will find something.

If not you can always come down to central california and get some experience, we are always looking for good providers that will serve the underserved.

first as well too, to echo zeus' message... thanks for supporting CAPA.

in terms of new grad positions, they're out there in the bay area, but by no means are they falling off trees. i was able to find an EM position, and my fellow classmates have found placements IM (cardiology, endocrinology), EM, OB/GYN, pediatric surgery, dermatology, and orthopedics. when i was doing my search, i checked listings on the CAPA website, AAPA website, SFBAPA site, some EM physician groups (CEP, VEP, EmCare) that staff local facilities, and also craigslist.

in my experience as well, you should try to apply regardless of your certification status, but i would agree that you're more marketable once you at least have your NCCPA certification after taking the PANCE. from there, you're eligible to get your NPI, DEA, state licensure... and those are basically just more paperwork and $$$. i was able to get hired on even before my NCCPA certification, so it's not impossible in any case.

and about central california, i dunno if you'll find any interesting patients out there... i've heard the PAs there prolly do too great of a job taking care of everyone. ;)

Eric,

I agree CEP and the other organizations you list are good resources. I know it's a lot easier when u do your rotations in that area to find placement. So to th OP looks like Eze8923 has given young good start for further research.

Eric I hope your EM gig is going well.

Agree with eze and zeus. I found my job on craigslist.org bnut there are slim pickins here. I had an IM, GI and the physiatry job offers but I did A LOT of hob-nobbing. I worked in medicine in this area for 10 years before PA school and made a few friends but still it wasnt like they were falling over each other to hire me or even to give me an interview. Most of the jobs here are for experienced PA's. I say get in where you fit in for about a year or two then go apply for the dream job. You might also consider looking in the central valley if you are open to moving. I have heard of a few jobs down there. I have classmates in LA and the situation is pretty much the same there. Lots of PA grads all looking at the same time. Good Luck!!! Oh you can join SFBAPA once you are certified and maybe network with the PA's there.

On the CEP tip, I applied and sent my resume and never got a call back. I was told that they didnt have many open positions in my area (east bay). Oh well....Eric, I'm glad u got hooked up bro!

On the CEP tip, I applied and sent my resume and never got a call back. I was told that they didnt have many open positions in my area (east bay). Oh well....Eric, I'm glad u got hooked up bro!

I had a hour-long phone interview with CEP which ended with the rep telling me she would send me a job/package to my email. I never got it. I called, left messages, no reply. She finally did call me back ... 2 months later. I told her not to bother calling again and hung up.

it's a lot easier when u do your rotations in that area to find placement.

very true. many were able to get offers from sites that they rotated through during the clinical year... which i'm sure is a common occurrence.

adam, hope all is well with you and all the SJVC crew! thanks as always for your service for us PAs in CA.

It's hard to switch coasts when you don't have a job lined up for you! I might take the plunge and do it though. BUT who knows...I still have till the end of July to apply long-distance, so hopefully something will come up.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely take a look at all the sites recommended. Also I just received my CAPA membership card today! I definitely feel more official :)

Hey all. I am hoping to return home to the sf area soon. I will have the disadvantage of being a new grad as well. I would like to work in EM if at all possible. I will be graduating August 26th. I was thinking of starting to send out my CV in June. Is this too early? Any suggestions with the bigger EM groups? Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So it's been 2 years of living in Manhattan and working at NYPH-Columbia hospital in Cardiology. Does anyone know any hospitals or private cardiology groups looking to hire in or near the Bay Area. Any suggestions of hospitals to look into would be great.

So it's been 2 years of living in Manhattan and working at NYPH-Columbia hospital in Cardiology. Does anyone know any hospitals or private cardiology groups looking to hire in or near the Bay Area. Any suggestions of hospitals to look into would be great.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the advice everyone! For anyone who sees this thread in the future, make use of you contacts. I underwent two job interviews via the help of my connections, not by applying online. I had one connection through the help of my PA program and the other through my current position in NY. I accepted a position in the East Bay, so I'll see you soon west coasters!

Archived