SEMPA Associate Membership

I joined in my first year as a PA-S. I don't know if it's worth the money for a pre-PA to join. 

Honestly, I would be hesitant to join just to put it on my resume unless I really needed some filler material. There are some programs out there that are looking to train primary care minded people and a SEMPA membership might turn them off. You need to protect your brand, so to speak, and I'd try to minimize any opportunity for people to jump to an incorrect conclusion that would impact you negatively ("This applicant just wants to do EM").

I would just join AAPA and leave it at that. The magazine is actually a pretty good resource to get up to speed on the current goings on in the profession that you might be asked about in an interview. 

Is it common for a Pre-PA to join SEMPA as an associate member? I know there is a wealth of benefits for current fellow's and even students, but I'm a little hesitant to spend $180 for the membership.

As a Pre PA join the AAPA. If you plan on staying in your state, see if you can join that society also. I think joining SEMPA as a student is worthwhile if that is where your interests lie after acceptance. While it is true that programs want to train primary care clinicians, the truth is that over 50% of PAs work in specialities including EM. Programs are ignoring economic realities if they are prejudicial against a student that has a clear goal as a PA that does not include primary care. 

G Brothers PA-C

Archived