Get EMT Cert and Quit Job to be an ER Tech

Please refer to my earlier post outlining what my current IT job is like and my reason for pursuing PA.

Like stated above, I work in IT and it wasn't what I expected. I know a lot of people (family and friends) that work in healthcare and I can tell they enjoy what they do. I thought the hobby I loved would make a great career - but it's made the hobby I loved into something I'm starting to dislike.

I get paid fairly well for a first job out of college. I'm salary, but if broken down, I get paid $18/hr. I know that the medical field is something I would enjoy. My sister is in the hospital right now as well, so I have spoken to CNAs, Nurses, RTs, and an NP about their professions and they say its difficult but fulfilling.

I want to do an EMT course and get certified. Quit my job after I find a position as an ER tech. I know ER Techs don't get paid much ($12-$15/hr maybe?), but I know I'd be a much happier person doing that, and it will be gathering HCE for me while I attend my post-bacc (assuming I get in).

What do you guys think about this plan? Am I crazy to quit a well paying job in this economy? 

I would say find out what the job market is like for new EMTs before making a drastic decision. It sounds like you know enough people currently employed in a hospital which could mean...a less difficult time getting a job as an ER Tech/PCT/ any other tech position. 

Let's say you don't quit. Will you be able to get certified and accumulate HCE while working your current position? Btw, no you're not crazy. From reading this forum, I've seen people quit 80k/year careers to pursue a 12/hr job in order to pursue PA.

I quit my job and sold my house to be a PA. I have no regrets. It's all on you and what you feel comfortable with. Just realize you'll need to cut loose from that job as some point prior to beginning PA school.

depends what the job is and where you go to school. the part time programs allow folks to work 2 out of 3 years and many folks(even in nl programs) work a medic or rn shift on the weekends during school to make a bit of spending money.

depends what the job is and where you go to school. the part time programs allow folks to work 2 out of 3 years and many folks(even in nl programs) work a medic or rn shift on the weekends during school to make a bit of spending money.

I'm referring to the OP's current job which is in IT. Having been in the IT field, most projects or employers would require too much time in contrast to a PD ER Tech or EMT shift. Just speaking from my own experiences being involved in that industry as a former DBA / IT project manager prior to working in multi-media & manufacturing industry.

Keep in mind that in most places EMTs are a dime a dozen.  Job market economics will reflect this in many places.  While you shouldn't let this discourage you from pursuing the training, certification and HCE you should keep this in mind when it comes to employment and/or changing employers.  Research accordingly.

All the best in your pursuits.

Yes, +Timon is correct about IT. My company has a few projects going around and some new ones coming up. So, I don't have the time to really do both. 

My biggest worry about doing the EMT route is that I'm reading a lot about new EMT-B's getting minimal hours (like one shift every couple weeks or something). A tad worried about not getting enough hours. I suppose I will have to look into PA programs that have lower HCE requirements and make sure my pre-req grades are the best I can get them.

Thank you all.

Yes, +Timon is correct about IT. My company has a few projects going around and some new ones coming up. So, I don't have the time to really do both. 

My biggest worry about doing the EMT route is that I'm reading a lot about new EMT-B's getting minimal hours (like one shift every couple weeks or something). A tad worried about not getting enough hours. I suppose I will have to look into PA programs that have lower HCE requirements and make sure my pre-req grades are the best I can get them.

Thank you all.

Don't pigeonhole yourself by only going for EMT. I got hired an EKG Tech and just before starting I was changed over to an ER Tech because of the combo of having an 12 lead tech certification, EMT-B certification and phlebotomy license. I would try to keep my options open and, like any other job, make myself as marketable as possible. There are also a lot of private ambulance companies that do inter-facility transports (IFTs) and although the health care experience isn't that of an ER Tech, its a start. And that's really what you need to get going.. that first healthcare job.. and then everything will start to open up.

Best of luck!

Don't pigeonhole yourself by only going for EMT. I got hired an EKG Tech and just before starting I was changed over to an ER Tech because of the combo of having an 12 lead tech certification, EMT-B certification and phlebotomy license. I would try to keep my options open and, like any other job, make myself as marketable as possible. There are also a lot of private ambulance companies that do inter-facility transports (IFTs) and although the health care experience isn't that of an ER Tech, its a start. And that's really what you need to get going.. that first healthcare job.. and then everything will start to open up.

Best of luck!

I was thinking of doing EMT and the EKG/Phelb combo also. It seems like that would make me a favorable hire, especially coming from a place where I have no HCE whatsoever.

Make sure you don't have to be sponsored to work as an EMT in your state, & check the job market like many have already pointed out.  Also, check to see what the requirements are for being an ER tech in your area, because some will hire MA's or LPN's etc. for that position also.

If you like or need your IT job to make ends meet, then consider getting your EMT cert and using it part time.

In my case, I had about ten years of volunteer EMS before I became part time paid with my current department. I kept my day job throughout and did my prerequisites at night, mostly in community college. From there I went to PA school.

I admire people who make leaps to get where they want to go. At the same time, I would ask you to see if there is an approach that will meet all of your needs, whatever they might be.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you like or need your IT job to make ends meet, then consider getting your EMT cert and using it part time.

In my case, I had about ten years of volunteer EMS before I became part time paid with my current department. I kept my day job throughout and did my prerequisites at night, mostly in community college. From there I went to PA school.

I admire people who make leaps to get where they want to go. At the same time, I would ask you to see if there is an approach that will meet all of your needs, whatever they might be.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for the advice. 

I actually found a part-time EMT course. It's a hybrid self-study with once a week meetings for all the hands-on training. I plan to do this while I keep my current job and saving up the checks.

After getting certified, I will apply to some jobs in my area and see if I get in. Depending on the hours I may decide to leave or just do EMT stuff on the weekends. 

My ultimate goal is to be working in an HCE-gathering position while attending my post-bacc (August 2015). So, working part-time now and keeping the IT job, as well as leaving IT and just doing EMT,  will help me secure more stable hours later on this year. Thanks again! I will research what the requirements are for ER Tech in my area just so I can know needs to be done.

Thanks again!

• Administrator

All other things being equal, having an IT background is a great tiebreaker:

Q: Do you know X brand EMR?

A: No, but I assemble my own computers for fun, have sysadmin'ed about 12 different OSes, can program in half a dozen languages, and have been using email for over half my life.  Oh, and I used to have Microsoft and Cisco certifications, but I let them lapse.  I should be fine.

Q': ....

Archived