I've been looking into interesting opportunities to gain some HCE. I feel like there may be some hidden gems that I just can't seem to come across. I see lots of opportunities to volunteer in poorer nations, but many of them are obscenely expensive, and it seems sort of gimmicky to be buying experience (i.e., it should not cost $4k to stay in an African town for a week and scrub in at a hospital).

What are some reputable organizations to look into where one could not only gain some good health care experience, but have a genuinely good experience while also doing some good, and not require taking out a loan.

I know that may be somewhat limited due to my training (~1yr rehab/hospital CNA), but there has to be something, here or abroad.

I don't speak from experience but let me weigh in on a couple of things. 

1. The overseas opportunities can be great, as students typically enjoy them. However, one must be cautious of these opportunities because there are not always hands-on but more like shadowing, and the experience PA schools are looking for is hands-on patient care. So, while this can be a great experience, it may not count (or count 100%) for healthcare hours. 

2. Looking for that 'diamond in the rough' experience may prove difficult because without certifications, experience, or license, it is difficult to find healthcare jobs that offer that type of experience you're looking for. The most common things applicants do are CNA or EMT - or they maintain jobs that they've had for many years. 

Maybe less focus on finding that 'gem' and just finding something that offers you the opportunity to work with patients. Remember, this is not your career, it's your stepping stone to get there. 

Good luck,

Danielle

Overseas trips are costly, because travel and insurance are costly.  Even cargo freightliner hopping on the high seas is much more expensive than you might think...something like~$50/day for some of the more affordable ships.  The people that plan these guided trips need to earn a living, as well.  Overall though, I do agree that it is obscenely expensive.

Your best bet will be to start the way many of us did - obtain an entry level position that involves some kind of hands-on patient care, which is difficult without certs/licensure, as dd mentioned above.  Don't be too terribly finicky about what is out there, even when the economy was great 10 years ago it was still tough to find a job at all.  Or find a job to earn a paycheck and get into some volunteer work.

Step one in deciding on this profession is to gain a significant amount of patient experience first - you may rack up some hce hours and discover that dealing with patients on the daily is not your cup of brew.  Day to day hospital life is much, much different than what the media will tell you, or what you may think you see from the waiting room.

Best of luck to you!!

Archived