PA friendly states

I would recommend the nonmetropolitan areas of Ca. I'm two hours to Carpinteria, Santa Barbara and LA. I don't have to commute in a mess everyday because I can't find affordable housing close to the jobs. And, most importantly, salaries are much higher in the rural parts of the state with a much lower COL. The competition is so heavy in the metropolitan areas that it drives down salaries for PAs and NPs. It is an employer's market in these areas.

Hey its okay if folks don't come to rural California. Less competition for NHSC loan repayment and OSHPD scholarships/LRP. Just joking lol.

Some people like rural areas. I grew up in SoCal, but have absolutely no desire to return, except to visit family still there. I will probably continue living in the Intermountain West (ID, UT, WY) until I die. I love it here. That's just my opinion, though. Some of the pros for me:

-Great autonomy

-Greater impact on a high needs area, vs being just another number in a large hospital/practice

-No/little traffic

-Lower cost of living (A colleague living in a house in SoCal very similar to the one I owned in Meridian, ID paid 3x what I did)

-Less population density, and the problems that go with it, like crime and smog

-It's an outdoor paradise, if that is your thing

Of course it's not all farts and rainbows, but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

I grew in socal as well and still practice here, but I was fortunate enough to do my education and rotations in rural areas/different states.  I definitely see the appeal.

one big downsides (to me) when you're out there is the lack of food diversity.  I can't cook worth a crap and I love to eat (can't beat san diego mexican food!).

Any information on how PA-friendly Texas is? I've always thought that would be a nice state to move to someday (I'm in Minnesota now).

It's a good practice environment and has a very proactive state org. The pay can be very good if you're willing to go to some less desirable locations. Also...no state income tax.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived