Has anyone been accepted without ever taking bio I/II?

I was wondering if anyone has gotten into PA school without taking bio I and bio II? I have taken multiple courses in physiology and also human biology but have not actually taken bio 1 or 2. Most of the schools websites that I would like to attend state they require courses in biology but not necessarily bio 1 or 2. Like duke for example wants 5 biology courses 3 of which must be physiology, anatomy, microbiology. Same with Baylor, and Rosalind Franklin etc. I was a psych major so I did not take bio 1 or 2 but I did take upper level courses in the physiology department, would not taking these classes hurt me?

Yeah, you're correct -- some schools don't  specifically require Bio I & II. I can't imagine that they will hold that against you if you meet the 5 Bio course requirement. That being said, I assume that a large percentage of applicants have taken those courses and you will judged against the applicant pool (GPA, HCE, courses, etc).

Those courses are pretty widely available so it might not be a bad idea to take them (or at least Bio I), if you can / are worried about it hurting your chances. 

Good luck!

I tested out of Bio I and II, but now feel like this was a big mistake, because it has definitely narrowed down the list of potential schools. However, I have gotten multiple interviews with my coursework. Just make sure you're investigating those prereq requirements carefully.

It will hurt you, however, in that many schools won't consider you. If you're applying next cycle you would be wise to sign up for both classes. Should be easy As if you've taken higher level Bio.

Yeah i've taken cardio physiology, pharmacology, homeostatic physiology, pathophysiology, immunology to name a few, but the way my work schedule is this semester I would only be able to take bio 2 but not bio 1before I apply this may, if the teacher allows me to do so

Bio I and II have present a lot of the background information that is assumed knowledge in upper level courses. While those upper level courses are possible without Bio I and II they require a fair bit more effort. Things like the basics of chemistry (atoms, molecules, electrons, protons, neutrons, functional groups, ), water chemistry (hydrogen bonding, adhesion, cohesion), and then the important stuff like concentration gradients, osmosis, active and passive diffusion, basics of cell biology, prokaryotic vs eukaryotic cells, genetics, etc. These topics are covered in a general manner (a la general biology) but they give you the terminology and basics in order to take high level classes such as micro, cell bio, genetics, and biochem.

I'm including a study sheet I made for my bio students.

prokaryotevseukaryote.pdf

Yeah, I realize the importance of bio 1 and 2 but I am just weighing at this point whether those 2 classes would be worth to take at this point since I have taken upper level courses and have done well in them (mostly A's). I guess taking them could broaden my school list that I can apply to. I just wanted to see if anyone had not taken these courses and gotten into PA school by taking other science courses, in the case that I can not take bio 1 and 2.

I never took Bio I or 2.  I took Zoo I and 2.  It was fine since it is a higher level biology. It was no problem at all.  I think bio 1 and 2 are the lowest level bios and they are the minimum requirement.  If you skipped them and went on to complete two higher level biologys, (a&p, micro and all that are different and usually have the bios as prerequisites). I am talking about zoology, etc as a bio substitute,  then you should be fine. 

Zoology I & II is an acceptable substitute for Bio I & II. However, I speak from experience when I say that higher level courses (A&P, Micro, Patho, etc.) are not. Schools are very literal about what they want as requirements. You could have a PHD in Biology but if you skipped Bio I and II (or one of its acceptable equivalents) you would get denied by most PA schools.

If there's one thing I could strike from the minds of pre-PAs, it's this notion many students cling to that the admissions process will always seem logical. There are a lot of factors involved in admissions -- the need to streamline the process, the need to maintain accreditation, the need to avoid lawsuits -- that result in policies that are overly strict and non-sensical.

You could have a PHD in Biology but if you skipped Bio I and II (or one of its acceptable equivalents) you would get denied by most PA schools.

And you probably would not be able to enter that PhD program without those basics on a transcript somewhere.

OP, you might be 100% capable with self-taught material and doing fine in every upper level (I'm surprised your school didn't make you take a basic bio prereq for those), but institutions need a proof-positive paper trail.

Your best bet, take them at a CC or accredited distance school, you should be able to phone in an A with your knowledge level.

Archived