Minorities in Medicine

Im a 30+ black male trying to enter PA school.  I've had my ups and downs throughout my academic career and earnestly attempting to get back on track.  I have graduated from NCSU with a 3.5 overall(3.2 in sciences).  I have been working in labs for over 10 years not really happy but it pays the bills.  I am trying to get some HCE but seemingly I would need more schooling so not sure where to start.  I dont lack confidence in my abilities to be a PA just curious about some obstacles for minorities because truthfully there arent many black males in the profession(not to mention medicine or science in general).  I heard many black PAs attend Howard but looking at the program i think it is lacking somewhat.  I dont mind varying prospectives  just be cordial and dont be a bigot.

Although I'm not a black male, I think a lot of the advice available on this forum applies broadly to most prospective PA applicants, including you. A 3.5 GPA with 3.2 in sciences is a great starting point for building a successful PA applicant. In terms of getting HCE...start from square one. Certain schools may accept your lab work as HCE. You should only attend a program if you feel strongly about it! If you think a program is lacking in some way, don't attend!

Im a 30+ black male trying to enter PA school. I've had my ups and downs throughout my academic career and earnestly attempting to get back on track. I have graduated from NCSU with a 3.5 overall(3.2 in sciences). I have been working in labs for over 10 years not really happy but it pays the bills. I am trying to get some HCE but seemingly I would need more schooling so not sure where to start. I dont lack confidence in my abilities to be a PA just curious about some obstacles for minorities because truthfully there arent many black males in the profession(not to mention medicine or science in general). I heard many black PAs attend Howard but looking at the program i think it is lacking somewhat. I dont mind varying prospectives just be cordial and dont be a bigot.

1. Continue HCE or start building up the hrs.

2. Contact program in your state. Meet face to face w/ faculty. Put everything on the table.

3. You nave the GPA. You've the experience. You're older w/some life exp. You sounded mature. Not spoon feed. These qualities can be use to your advantage.

4. There is no obstacle for minorities. Yes. You'll have to proof yourself beyond reasonable doubt. We all do.

5. The many black PA attended Howard is not true. Apply broadly.

6. I have faith you'll do well. Good luck.

Statistics mean nothing to the individual. Just because there are not many black people in medicine doesn't mean you're individual chances are lessened. If you're interested and this is what you want to do, then just go for it! As for HCE see if your state requires certification to be a nurse assistant or PCT. If it does check the continuing education programs at any community colleges near you. I know the community college near me offers a diploma/certificate program for CNA for like $1800, but offers CNAI and CNAII classes in continuing ed for just $194 each.  

Don't allow yourself to doubt your chances due to your race. As long as your application is competitive I don't see how race could be a determinant of your success as an applicant. FWIW: I am also a minority. I have never considered myself at a disadvantage because of it. If anything, I have gained strength and confidence knowing that I can bring some much needed representation / perspective to the profession.

You seem like you have a pretty solid start! Use the advice above to further strengthen your application and go for it!

Good luck!

Also, if you get the feeling that a program will discriminate against you because you are a minority, that's probably not a program you'd want to attend.

Oh and programs have no way of knowing your race while they are reviewing your application unless you decide to endorse it on your CASPA application. But that's optional. 

"Physician Assistant programs fully recognize the importance of diversity in their student body and in the physician assistant work force. Accordingly, programs strongly encourage applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and persons from groups underrepresented in health care. " - Borrowed from the CASPA website :)

@educatedblkman: Although I'm not a minority myself, I am pretty unique in that I spent a good portion of my life living on an Indian reservation. That experience has forever influenced my approach to working with underserved populations. I spoke at length about this in my personal narrative for PA school. It sets me apart from other applicants.

Point is...whatever makes you unique is something that you can potentially use to set yourself apart from other applicants in your narrative statement for PA school.

The field is indeed underrepresented when it comes to certain ethnic groups, and for that reason members of those ethnic groups have a significant advantage in the admissions process. I don't have any stats for PA admissions, but if it's anything like medical school admissions you should be in excellent shape. Look at any GPA & MCAT range and compare the acceptance rates for different races:

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

PA schools are flooded with white and female applicants. Being a black male should work heavily in your favor.

• 3 years later...
On 11/18/2014 at 10:14 AM, t_pac said:

Also, if you get the feeling that a program will discriminate against you because you are a minority, that's probably not a program you'd want to attend.

Oh and programs have no way of knowing your race while they are reviewing your application unless you decide to endorse it on your CASPA application. But that's optional. 

"Physician Assistant programs fully recognize the importance of diversity in their student body and in the physician assistant work force. Accordingly, programs strongly encourage applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and persons from groups underrepresented in health care. " - Borrowed from the CASPA website ?

There are MANY medical schools that have historically discriminated against non-Christians (Jewish in particular, despite being considered "white", Catholics, Asians, Muslims of any ethnicity and women) and continue to do so despite being called out on their BS regularly...cough Em ATL...cough. ? 

Archived