Today Show

Here is the link to write to NBC. You can either copy/paste the letter from carpe178 or craft your own. It doesn't take more than 20 seconds and collectively, we could be on to something here. Dr. Snyderman hasn't heard anything "loud and clear" until she apologizes for it on the same venue where she made the mistake. I urge my fellow PA students and practicing PAs to not accept anything less than what our profession deserves.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29041920/ns/today-today_participate/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this is why she is so reluctant to make a public correction................

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041426/ns/today-today_health#37427668

This makes me want to push for a PA segment even more!!

Hmmm... she did a whole segment on NP's, and didn't know what a PA did?

Things like this are where the AAPA should be working it's magic. I realize they do a lot in the legislative realm, but we need better PR as well. It's fine and dandy to expect individual PA's to step up and advocate for their profession, but when a national news program does a segment on midlevels, the AAPA should have been there. Isn't that the whole point of having a centralized, professional organization?

A good salesman doesn't sit and wait for people to come to him. He goes out and looks for contacts. He works it, especially if he is just starting out. PA's have been around for a while, but not as long as MD's. I expect our representatives to be out there, looking for leads, not waiting for someone to come to them.

This is the perfect leverage! In the NP segment, they say "The AMA is against NP expanded scope and push for independence because of the training (aka nursing model), and that because of the MD/DO shortage there may not be any other choice and that the AMA believes that medicine is best approached in a team fashion" well of course there is another choice. How about PA's? Practitioners trained in the medical model, that practice as part of a team. THEY LITTERALLY DESCRIBED PA'S!!

Hmmm... she did a whole segment on NP's, and didn't know what a PA did?

Things like this are where the AAPA should be working it's magic. I realize they do a lot in the legislative realm, but we need better PR as well. It's fine and dandy to expect individual PA's to step up and advocate for their profession, but when a national news program does a segment on midlevels, the AAPA should have been there. Isn't that the whole point of having a centralized, professional organization?

A good salesman doesn't sit and wait for people to come to him. He goes out and looks for contacts. He works it, especially if he is just starting out. PA's have been around for a while, but not as long as MD's. I expect our representatives to be out there, looking for leads, not waiting for someone to come to them.

Tried to comment on Today Show website. Either they have closed comments, there is an error on their site, or I am doing something wrong.

Sorry guys, this blows.

Your professional organization should be more like the NRA. Those guys put out an email, issue opinions, and flood the media any time anything happens involving a gun anywhere in the world. I know they have more money (and Ted Nugent) but seriously.

My post are still on both the todayhealth page and Snyderman's. You have to "Like" the page first to post. I see that Synderman's page is not accepting new post but you can comment on the exisisting post. I also posted this on my states professional org FB site. In addition I asked all my FB friends to do the same and post on the TODAY Health page. I encourage all of us on here to do the same.

While I highly doubt we will get an on air apology (I mean how often have your ever heard a doctor state privately they made a mistake.....?) But I do think we can get a segment about our profession. I think this is much better than....On Th I incorrectly stated PAs can not prescribe meds...they can. Now on to signs of radiation poisoning..... A whole dedicated segment is much better than an apology.

Agreed with all the posts. Here is my message to the Today Show:

"Dr. Snyderman,

I was surprised and disappointed at your portrayal of the role of the Physician Assistant (PA) in medical practice today. PAs do in fact prescribe both uncontrolled medications and controlled medications. While PAs are required to have a working agreement with a Physician, they can and do practice medicine without direct oversight.

You have a trusted voice for a nation of viewers. To disparage another medical professional nationally is quite simply sad. Further, to explain that a PA might be effective in a speciality field such as dermatology but not in a generalized field such as primary care or emergency medicine is simply misleading.

As the national shortage of qualified healthcare workers continues to grow, it is important to educate the nation about all the points of access to healthcare. Please reconsider your position of the the medical profession of Physician Assistant. Help the Today Show viewers understand the role of a PA in todays healthcare setting. Perhaps an informative piece for the Today Show about PAs is in order. "

• 2 weeks later...
Let this be a lesson to all of us, to try and refrain from speaking as an authority on topics we aren't familiar with.

I agree. There's no need to go into detail on a topic unless you're very familiar with it. Had she not chosen to go off on a tangent, this wouldn't have been news worthy to us. Her answer to the viewer's actual question was just fine.

Archived