Today Show

Dr. Nancy Snyderman was on the Today Show this morning talking about "how to choose a doctor". A viewer called in and asked: I just found out my primary care doctor is actually a physician's assistant. Should I find an actual physician or is it OK to see a physician's assistant?

Dr. Nancy sorta cringed and hesitated, then said it's OK, but she should have been told who she was seeing ahead of time so she could make an informed decision (I can agree with that). She went on to say that her own family sees a dermatology Physician Assistant and that she thought PA's were OK as long as they're seeing common conditions in a narrow field of practice. Then, she warned viewers, that Physician Assistants can't prescribe medications, so if you need a prescription, see a doctor. She repeated that statement as she was wrapping up her answer.

Hmm... I'm surprised she knows so little about PA's, but I don't believe she's really in active practice anymore, so I guess she's not so up to date on everything.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should be flooding the AAPA with letters demanding a response from them. After that, flood the Today Show and Nancy Snyderman for a retraction on her statement. Just another example of how the APPA could be doing better by our profession. DO you think the ANA would sit there and not respond? Hardly.

I saw on her FB page that she is trying to damage control it but wonder if she will go on air and correct her mistake. Her FB statement:

This morning on TODAY I talked about the role of Physician Assistants. I love the work they do and my entire family sees a PA in our Dermatologist's offce. But I mis-spoke when I addressed the ability to write prescriptions. Many Physician Assistants can and do prescribe. That ability allows them to amplify the services offered in a doctor's office. I hope this helps and thanks for watching TODAY

I wonder how many patients out there were thinking "that's not true". Probably any patient with that thought just became confused about what type of provider they see. She never referred to physician assistants as PA's in her answer. I think more people recognize PA. The full name seems to confuse some people.

It's too bad. It's not in anyone's best interest for there to be such confusion and misconceptions about PA's. Any physician or group that employs PA's should want patients to trust that they're getting good care and not getting cheated just because they're seeing a PA. A little bit of promotion would go a long way.

This is what I wrote to The Today Show this morning:

Dr. Snyderman,

Your segment this morning on the Today Show was a shock and disappointment to me and all other mid level providers across the nation. Physician Assistants (PA's) work in many specialties but also have a large presence in primary care. As a Family Practice PA in KY, I see my own patients, diagnose, treat and prescribe medication accordingly. I diagnose and treat everything from the common cold to an acute MI in the clinic setting. Your knowledge of mid level provers, our responsibilities and scope of practice is not only grossly uneducated, but to take that misinformation and broadcast it on television is harmful to the public and to us that are working in the REAL world of medicine. I have seen a mild retraction of your blunder on your Facebook page, however, you should also seriously consider a retraction on The Today Show as well.

Regards,

Laurie Garner

PA-C, PhD

This is what I wrote to The Today Show this morning:

Dr. Snyderman,

Your segment this morning on the Today Show was a shock and disappointment to me and all other mid level providers across the nation. Physician Assistants (PA's) work in many specialties but also have a large presence in primary care. As a Family Practice PA in KY, I see my own patients, diagnose, treat and prescribe medication accordingly. I diagnose and treat everything from the common cold to an acute MI in the clinic setting. Your knowledge of mid level provers, our responsibilities and scope of practice is not only grossly uneducated, but to take that misinformation and broadcast it on television is harmful to the public and to us that are working in the REAL world of medicine. I have seen a mild retraction of your blunder on your Facebook page, however, you should also seriously consider a retraction on The Today Show as well.

Regards,

Laurie Garner

PA-C, PhD

Many thanks to those who wrote the Today Show regarding this issue. I also submitted the following:

To the Today Show:

I became aware of the segment this morning by Dr. Synderman offering insight towards choosing primary care physicians, and was gravely disturbed and disappointed by the misrepresentation of physician assistants by the NBC News Chief Medical Correspondent.

Physician assistants (not "physician's assistants") prescribe medication in ALL fifty states, including controlled substances. Furthermore, the majority of physician assistants practice as primary care providers in conjunction and collaboration with physicians of the same specialty.

Foremost, Dr. Synderman has done a great disservice to your viewers, and the physician assistant profession by misrepresenting the close to 90,000 physician assistants serving the public throughout the United States and internationally, as well as in the armed services. Misinformation such as in this instance is what continues to confuse the greater population of our role in the medical community, and makes our duties as a physician assistant more and more difficult for no legitimate or apparent reason.

I realize that my message is not the only one you will receive regarding this matter, and I very much hope that the Today Show will take action to correct this grave and unquestionable mistake to its viewers. Moreover, I would strongly encourage you to consider a segment discussing the ever-increasing role of physician assistants and other advanced providers in modern medicine.

If physicians, let alone NBC's Chief Medical Correspondent, is so misinformed about the physician assistant profession, you can only imagine what kind of understanding the general public has... and no thanks to what was said on the air this morning.

I hope that the Today Show will intently take this feedback into consideration, and I look forward to the appropriate steps that will be taken to correct this mistake.

Sincerely,

eze8923, MPA, PA-C, NREMT-B

Physician Assistant

Emergency Medicine

This is what I responded with;

Dear Today show and Dr. Snyderman.

I urge you to please correct your statements about Physician Assistants. PA’s play an integral role in healthcare in all areas including all specialties, subspecialties and primary care; in fact PA’s are at the forefront of confronting and rectifying the primary care practitioner shortage in the US. PA’s have a special Physician/PA relationship that allows a team approach to patient care. While it is true that the Physicians that work with PA’s are available for guidance if deemed necessary by the supervising Physician and/or by the PA; PA’s practice medicine under their own license (including full prescription rights) and do so autonomously as part of the team.

The PA profession is relatively new and has worked relentlessly and diligently over the years to establish a professionally appropriate reputation within the general public and medical communities. We have been very successful in becoming competent healthcare providers by meeting the needs of our patients. During these time of uncertainty please do not confuse our patients even more by misleading them to believe that the medical care they may be receiving might in some way be substandard or inadequate. Our nation is under enough stress given the current state of unrest and unknowns in healthcare. I urge you to please become properly informed and inform the millions of today show viewers that value your opinion, words and advice about the invaluable services offered by PA's and the Physician/PA team.

Thank you

I just got my latest issue of "PA Professional" today, and on page 6 is an article about advocacy. Item #5 details why the AAPA can't be the sole voice for the profession, and that each one of us need to step it up.

So, putting a random comment on this person's facebook page is a good start, but it might be more appropriate to have a more organized approach, separate from the "official" response from the AAPA. She probably doesn't really read the responses to her Facebook page- it seems more like a vehicle to present information, rather than getting information FROM her viewers.

Here are some things that came to mind (that I will try):

email "carpet bomb"- email the today show, the network, people on the show (I don't watch that drivel, so I don't know who is on it), anyone you can find connected to it. The idea for this is to eventually get to someone who cares, like a higher up.

While you are at it, you could try emailing the other shows. Perhaps if they get enough emails, they might actually have a show on PA's. I'm thinking of that other POS, "The Doctors", and Dr. Oz, whatever show he is on.

The other thing you could try is to send an actual letter. It is waaaay to easy to deal with emails by clicking "delete". Their job is make a show that advertisers will pay to have advertising on, not to deal with people's problems. Once they have an actual piece of mail in their hand, they might throw it away, but they might read it.

You know, if everyone who posted in that thread about NP's and playing nice with them each sent 10 emails, then that would be impressive, instead of filling at least 6 freaking pages about how NP's are getting all the goodies and we aren't. I know a lot of people here do their part, but far too many mumble and grumble and don't do ****. So when a supposed professional gets on a national tv show and spouts off propaganda and baloney about a fellow profession, we really deserve what we get, don't we?

Well, I have to go write my emails. Sorry about the rant. I just get upset sometimes.

Very well stated Trauma! I did not see the segment this morning, I was in class as always but am deeply troubled that a physician can be so uneducated on the role of a PA. I hope that the Today Show or Dr. Snyderman take the advice that has been given by so many to correct her mistake on air. I too have emailed, although not as eloquently as you did, but unless she/they get inondated with concerns I don't think that a correction will be made by the show.

I saw on her FB page that she is trying to damage control it but wonder if she will go on air and correct her mistake. Her FB statement:

This morning on TODAY I talked about the role of Physician Assistants. I love the work they do and my entire family sees a PA in our Dermatologist's offce. But I mis-spoke when I addressed the ability to write prescriptions. Many Physician Assistants can and do prescribe. That ability allows them to amplify the services offered in a doctor's office. I hope this helps and thanks for watching TODAY

How about

"ALL PAs can and do prescribe"

"That allows them the ability to practice medicine in all fifty states"

That's better.

Archived