Genetics pre req?

is Genetics a major pre req for many pa schools. Im debating on if i should take this course. This course is very difficult and challenging from what my classmates heard.

never avoid a class due to it being difficult. Some school require it, others list it as a desirable class to take. There's a lot of valuable information to learn in the course, and the labs are quite fun.

genetics doesn't get to be too bad at the undergraduate level... but, then again, it depends on where you take it and what the coursework emphasizes. if you have are confident in what is generally covered in intro bio, particularly the molecular topics, you should be more than fine.

There's a lot of valuable information to learn in the course, and the labs are quite fun.

SOME of the labs... UHG, to the fly nap and fruit flies. :mad:

Thanks for the advice...Im going to suck up and take it

I have to take this course for my bio minor, and I also have to take my last 30 credits at the Univeristy. So i cannot take this course elsewhere, or it will not be counted

I feel this is a good decision that you will not regret. You learn so much valuable stuff beyond "mothers genome and fathers genome" leading to progeny phenotypes. Getting into the intricates of DNA, rna and dna replication, formation of cancer and mutations, etc. It was known for being a tough class at my school, but it turned out to be quite interesting and useful.

• 3 years later...
I feel this is a good decision that you will not regret. You learn so much valuable stuff beyond "mothers genome and fathers genome" leading to progeny phenotypes. Getting into the intricates of DNA, rna and dna replication, formation of cancer and mutations, etc. It was known for being a tough class at my school, but it turned out to be quite interesting and useful.

Is genetics really useful for a PA? Can someone give me a few examples of how a PA would use this knowledge in practice and how a PA who didn't take genetics might fumble in the same situation?

Is genetics really useful for a PA? Can someone give me a few examples of how a PA would use this knowledge in practice and how a PA who didn't take genetics might fumble in the same situation?

Genetics is very important in the practice of medicine whether you are a doctor or a PA. One example is that you should be able to know what diseases are autosomal dominant or recessive or those with X linked recessive or dominant. With this example alone, you should be able to explain to patients how come he or she has the disease while his or her siblings didn't have or you will be able to explain to patients the possibility or probability of of their offspring having the disease. Chromosomal abnormalities like trisomy 21 or 18 could be also another example. There are a lot more. This is just what I can share of how important genetics is.

This question intrigued me enough to ask a couple of Doc I work with. Both laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, that's the one with the X's and Y's". In seriousness, they stated that it is good stuff to know, but rarely used in common practice other than a rudimentary understanding. They equated it to Organic Chem.

If you think genetics is too difficult, you shouldn't be trying to go to PA school! If I were you I would take it and othe recommended classes as well, just to get used to difficult classes (if you can afford do financially).

This question intrigued me enough to ask a couple of Doc I work with. Both laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, that's the one with the X's and Y's". In seriousness, they stated that it is good stuff to know, but rarely used in common practice other than a rudimentary understanding. They equated it to Organic Chem.

They may not sit around the office doing punnett squares but genetics is the future of medicine. It won't be too long before we're choosing the best drug and dose for a person based on genetic markers(which is already done in oncology) across the board. Having a basic understanding of the subject is a potentially powerful tool.

Aha! I though so!

Archived