When is the next push for a name change coming?

You knew what you were getting into when you joined a profession with the name 'assistant' in it.  That being said, I was impressed when I was researching Yale's program and they're already calling PA's Physician Associate's: http://medicine.yale.edu/pa/.  I think that would be the smartest way to go, seeing as a lot of people already know what a PA is, changing the 'A' would be smoothest.  I think the change will start happening when something official is put out by PA organizations/societies at the top.  Forcing that change and making people adapt is the only way to go I think.

You knew what you were getting into when you joined a profession with the name 'assistant' in it. That being said, I was impressed when I was researching Yale's program and they're already calling PA's Physician Associate's: http://medicine.yale.edu/pa/. I think that would be the smartest way to go, seeing as a lot of people already know what a PA is, changing the 'A' would be smoothest. I think the change will start happening when something official is put out by PA organizations/societies at the top. Forcing that change and making people adapt is the only way to go I think.

Just because you join a profession while it is one way, doesn't mean you can't hope for certain aspects to change.

Yale has always been physician associate since that is our original name.

I think it will change when the younger millennial generation comes to replace the old guard, as they are statistically more likely to support the title change.

You can read all about it on the PAHX site.  AAPA endorsed the assistant title to avoid confusion.  Biggest mistake they ever made.  But I suppose they didn't have much power or say over anything PA related back then.  There is an archived thread here on the history of the PA title.  I believe it is Andersen who has written a nice summary of  the history. 

While reading the Sunday paper this morning, I saw an ad from a regional hospital (of course the ad was full-page and full-color) introducing "Dr. Jane Doe, APN-C, a Board Certified Nurse Practitioner". 

"Dr. Doe specializes in...."

"Schedule an appointment with Dr. Doe today..."

So once it becomes routine to refer to NPs as "Dr. Doe", will the Assistant in Physician Assistant become even more glaring?  I think yes.

Yup it will be more glaring. If a full page ad for a PA said meet Physician Associate Doe and schedule an appointment it would be accepted by the public. But meet assistant Doe would be different. Where are you...what state?

• 6 months later...

Archived