For those in Primary Care - what's your perfect job?

Had a thought about what our 'perfect job' would be. Have thought about it a little bit and mine looks something like this:

M,W,TH,F work days

8-4 with 1/2 hour lunch

25 patients per day

mix of primary care and urgent care (work for a big group and see most there UC visits)

pay 80 base with productivity bonus of 33% of collections over 15k/month (usually collect about $25+k/month so bonus in the $3k/month range) Puts total pay in the 100-110 range

(for the typical benefits package - in general the 4 weeks PTO, 3-5 days CME, 1-2k CME, pay for all licenses/DEA, and 3-5 days sick/personal)

Full EMR in practice

On site radiology so I could do the simple ortho urgent care

What is your ideal??

I'm betting EMR is a huge help (saves time, paper, mess, headaches)?

Initially, it makes work harder. Once the system is in place it's a big time saver. As an example, when the same patient comes in with the same problem list over and over, you only have to change a few clicks on the exam or ROS to make it relevant for today's visit. But setting up that initial H&P is a PITA.

not currently in primary care but have always thought a solo "town doc" position would be cool in a rural setting.

clinic 3-4 days/week. cover your own pts in the hospital and nursing home. take call to the low volume er. manage low risk ob up to an including delivery with specialty backup available for sections, etc

I work with an em pa who used to have a practice like this with her spouse( an fp doc) in a rural town in oklahoma.

I see patients 30 hours a week and my salary is derived on an hourly wage for that time. During that period I see a mix of my own and practice overflow urgent care. I average 45-50 patients a week. Not super busy ... but I did not inherit many patients and grow steadily. I avg maybe 2. something patients an hour ... this includes physical and 30 minute consultation visits. Bit over 40 an hour with benefits and time off. Flex schedule so I can go part time to school (doctoral in ethics) and write my TV pilot.

Powder day rules for any fresh snow fall over 6 inches at the resort...clinic opens at 1:30 on those days

Sure, money is important but offer me a rural family practice clinic @ 36 hours a week with the ability to pull per diem shifts in the ER across the street about 1-2 days a month, with a co worker or two who is willing to swap shifts and such for coverage if one of us has to bail for sick family or for longer blocks of vacation and I'll work for peanuts...assuming of course the powder rule is valid :-)...and commute time less than 15 minutes.

Powder day rules for any fresh snow fall over 6 inches at the resort...clinic opens at 1:30 on those days

Sure, money is important but offer me a rural family practice clinic @ 36 hours a week with the ability to pull per diem shifts in the ER across the street about 1-2 days a month, with a co worker or two who is willing to swap shifts and such for coverage if one of us has to bail for sick family or for longer blocks of vacation and I'll work for peanuts...assuming of course the powder rule is valid :-)...and commute time less than 15 minutes.

Steve, I like the way you think! Mmmm, fresh snow. Priorities :)

I can imagine you getting 5 inches of snow a day for 2-3 days in a row, looking out the window and sighing.

I am in agreement though; money is not the biggest factor in my case. I'd work a job with great people, hours and location for $60k before I'd work a job everyday that I hated for $120k. Life is too short.

Archived