Just took the PANRE - holy hell.

I just finished taking the PANRE about an hour ago and all I have to say is wow. I found it to be much more confusing and "trickier" then anticipated. I actually didn't understand how on many of the questions based on the little amount of clinical information given how it was possible to come to the "best answer." All the questions are just swimming in my head. I took the exam practically under perfect conditions - not working, living at home and spent the past 2 months studying like a mad woman (much harder than for the PANCE). Not sure what more/ how much harder I can study if I have to retake it. I'm having a complete anxiety attack and don't know how I'm going to survive 2 weeks of waiting..

Did anyone else feel like this after the PANRE and what was the outcome?

There seems to be a trend that I have noticed after taking PANRE in '11 and EM CAQ in '13.

Questions are being pushed further up the learning pyramid (Blooms Taxonomy). 

Instead of just knowledge and comprehension ie If your patient has CAP, what is the best choice for oral antibiotics? Zithromax, augmentin, keflex, cipro, there is a focus on application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.

Example, your patient has signs and symptoms that make you think of several disease states (you develop a differential diagnosis). There is a lab finding or physical finding that you have to recognize is only associated to one of these diseases. But the question is how do you treat this disease. So you are being tested on a very complex level of thinking. You have to first correctly identify the disease and then know the treatment. This leap of faith is what we do on a regular basis putting together various points of data to come to a diagnosis and a treatment plan. When you answer this kind of question though, it indicates you CAN think through difficult and complex processes to come to the correct answer.

But when you are sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer answering these quesitons, it is difficult to see the forest for the trees. 

G Brothers PA-C

• 2 weeks later...

Sure! Just to note my way of learning and memorizing is very visual - my grandfather had a photographic memory and I likely inherited some of it from him. I do not learn by listening - have always been terrible with directions, names of people, ect - therefore I skipped all review courses and holed myself up in my closet for a good 6 weeks reading, writing and memorizing. Here's what I did -

1) I used the official blueprint to make a study guide for the big topics - cardio, pulm, GI, ortho, ENT, Ob and endo. I wrote out the disease specifics, pneumonics, diagnosis and best treatment. I used step up to medicine and Merck Manual online to do this. Then I memorized everything. Tedious yes - but it's what I needed to do to really learn the material.

2) For the rest of the topics, I actually just used "PANCE for Dummies" and read the chapter and answered the questions at the end. I also did all of the review tests in the book and on the CD. The CD also comes with some great derm slides.

3) Lastly, I dug out my old "data-chem" CD I used for the PANCE (which I initially failed) and memorized all those questions too.

I studied long and hard and still found the exam to be abhorrently and unnecessarily difficult. I'm in beteween jobs and was very lucky to have had the time and support to study. I feel for everyone doing this with stressful jobs or young children (or both) though I'm sure in 10 years I will be in that boat. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Have been a lurker on here for quite some time while preparing---Took PANRE for the first time yesterday and thought it was incredibly difficult-took the Primary Care version. I passed PANCE on the first try very comfortably in 2009 and thought this test was much harder than the PANCE. Been working in Primary Care for 5+ years now and I thought the questions that were asked were so bizarre and completely unrelated to what I see/how I practice in the office. Even some of the treatments/standards of care questions were what I would do 5 years ago and did not reflect current practice. The items they chose to test on were so out of left field, even following the blueprint to study. I left feeling okay about the exam but then looked up some of the questions when I got home (neurotic, I know) and doubt started to creep in. I will be floored if I pass. After speaking to several friends who have taken it, they all felt the same way and somehow pulled it off. I studied for several months prior-Exam Master, Davis Book and question CD, Rutgers test banks, Certification/Recert book...If I fail I don't know how I would restudy for this, just hope and pray for a different version of the exam?...

Have been a lurker on here for quite some time while preparing---Took PANRE for the first time yesterday and thought it was incredibly difficult-took the Primary Care version. I passed PANCE on the first try very comfortably in 2009 and thought this test was much harder than the PANCE. Been working in Primary Care for 5+ years now and I thought the questions that were asked were so bizarre and completely unrelated to what I see/how I practice in the office. Even some of the treatments/standards of care questions were what I would do 5 years ago and did not reflect current practice. The items they chose to test on were so out of left field, even following the blueprint to study. I left feeling okay about the exam but then looked up some of the questions when I got home (neurotic, I know) and doubt started to creep in. I will be floored if I pass. After speaking to several friends who have taken it, they all felt the same way and somehow pulled it off. I studied for several months prior-Exam Master, Davis Book and question CD, Rutgers test banks, Certification/Recert book...If I fail I don't know how I would restudy for this, just hope and pray for a different version of the exam?...

This has also been discussed in other threads.

The numbers are in your favor.

NCCPA is not in the business of flunking a large percentage of PANRE takers, we are the bread and butter of this organization.

Sounds like you have good experience over the last 5 years and did some prep work.

This is better than the 1000s of your cohorts whom worked in specialties over the same time frame.

You passed, congratulations. You wont have to face this for another 10 years now.

GB PA-C

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to all who passed!Took it on 12/12 and still waiting. I keep checking the "verify PA's Certification", but nothing has changed for me. I walked out of there feeling like the last 4 months were a total waste.  I am beyond worried.  I can't even sleep.  The longer the wait, the more nervous I become.  When I took it on the very last Wednesday allowed for testing in 2008, I received my results the following Monday (so less than a week). What is the deal? And I keep hearing people say results come out on Thursdays in the morning. Is this true? Next Thursday is Christmas. I can't...

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get on this. 2014 somehow slipped right on by me, and "PANRE" has been sitting there on my to-do list for at least half of it. This thread is overall very reassuring, though. I think my plan will be to get the practice tests and go from there. If I'm deficient in an area, I'll hit it hardest. I honestly think I'd like to try a more casual approach, relying on my practice in a general area, but I'm sure at some point my big talk will give way to neuroticism.

Hey Painful, the holiday probably messed up your schedule a bit, but have you heard back yet?

@febrifuge

Took PANRE on 12/12/14, a Friday. Got my results on a Monday (12/23/14): E-mail from NCCPA sent @ 10:17 AM.   I passed with a score of 498; passing was 379 for my exam. When I checked to "Verify PA Certification" BEFORE looking at my score, I thought I failed because it wasn't updated yet.  I began crying immediately saying, "oh no, I failed. I failed my test." Then I logged in and saw I had passed.  Felt like an idiot.

I have to give God the credit. If you haven't given the Lord a try, please reconsider.  He is ALWAYS faithful!  No way I would have made it without His intervention. Thank you, God!  Thank you, St. Michael for interceding on my behalf!  Thank you, John the Conqueror, for interceding on my behalf! Keep the faith!

Today is the New Year 2015.  I am due for PANRE in either 2015 or 16.  I'm debating taking it in 2015 and if I fail still have another year to take it and should still be able to work until the final deadline for PANRE is due?  Correct in my thinking?

It will be my last PANRE as in 10 years I will be 68 y/o and do not plan on working after that age.  I am a visual and auditory learner so memorization of volumes of printed material doesn't work quite so well for me.  I may take an actual face to face review course this time around.  Haven't decided yet. 

Today is the New Year 2015.  I am due for PANRE in either 2015 or 16.  I'm debating taking it in 2015 and if I fail still have another year to take it and should still be able to work until the final deadline for PANRE is due?  Correct in my thinking?

It will be my last PANRE as in 10 years I will be 68 y/o and do not plan on working after that age.  I am a visual and auditory learner so memorization of volumes of printed material doesn't work quite so well for me.  I may take an actual face to face review course this time around.  Haven't decided yet. 

Paula

I am due 2017, will take in 2016.

This will be the first cycle I take test early.

Otherwise have taken the year due, once on last possible day of year I could, both PANRE without studying.

Always scored in low 90% from PANCE through PANRE but the anecdotal experiences I hear on this forum are making me reconsider my approach.

I actually may do a recert course in person just to see what the deal is.

As for failing one year early, you will still have the -C till you pass or fail the 2nd time, I would assume this does not affect your employment.

Dependent on your state, you may actually not need the -C but may for employer, credentialing or insurances.

So definitely something to check out. But reality is that only way someone is going to know you didnt pass test is if they go to verify or you put state or employer/credentialer down to receive results PRIOR to when they would have to verify your -C, which is in 2016 rather than 2015.

So I always look at taking it in the 5th year as a free pass if you need it.

As for studying, I just read a great book called Make it stick, the science of successful learning. If you dont want to read the whole book, then just read chapter 8.

Or could look for the article this book was based on:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcpr.molsci.ucla.edu%2Fcpr%2Fdata%2Flibrary%2F400241%2Fresources%2Fres013%2Ffile%2FWhat%2520Works%2520in%2520Learning%2520Study.pdf&ei=DZWlVM6pNJCPyATUyYCYAw&usg=AFQjCNFq_twVcIs_0W8UKSO4P7RhjsfQ_Q

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Archived