How are the job prospects for newly graduated PAs in NYC?

I would like to know this information because I will be graduating from a PA school in 2013. I feel like there are many threads talking about the regression of the PA profession. I would like to enusre that this will not happen to me. Therefore, my question is, how are the job prospects for newly graduated PAs in NYC? I plan to practice here in the future. Do you feel like it is too saturated in NYC due to the many PA schools?

the positioning of PA schools make little sense from a PA employment perspective. Alot of NP and PA schools in NY/PA/NJ area. Difficulty might have something to do with what type of medicine you want to practice. With certainty your salary in NYC will be lower than colleagues in most other states ......YET you will pay probably the highest cost of living. From the NP front .... my practice trains them from Columbia ... of the new family medicine grad NPs alot of difficulty finding employment. Few months after a number remain unemployed. Of note .... it is a direct entry NP program so they cannot fall back on RN credentials to work in the interim.

I would like to know this information because I will be graduating from a PA school in 2013. I feel like there are many threads talking about the regression of the PA profession. I would like to enusre that this will not happen to me. Therefore, my question is, how are the job prospects for newly graduated PAs in NYC? I plan to practice here in the future. Do you feel like it is too saturated in NYC due to the many PA schools?

I would caution against allowing computer forums to influence your life decisions. While this forum is fairly active and holds a fair bit of information, it is not a true comprehensive reflection of what is going on in the PA community as a whole. I enjoy a computer forum as the next person, easy enough to tell by the proliferation of my posts but I try really hard to keep in mind that this is a collection of ideas from less than 100 people. Most of the current active posters I can name without looking. I am not saying those people are good people or bad people, but I am saying WE all have our own thoughts and opinions that may or may not reflect the true balance of current situations.

Your question that you're posing is a fairly complex one, especially seeing how a vast majority of PA jobs are never advertised. Instead, PA's network in and among their peer groups and known organizations to find their niche. New York City has a population of over 8 million people (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/census/popdiv.shtml) If you can't find a job in a metropolitan area of that size, then I would venture a bet you can't find a job anywhere. The caveat is that it may not be a job YOU REALLY want. If you're looking to specialize in surgical correction of hangnails of the fourth phalanx on the left hand of blond haired twins (boy/girl split only) then it may be a struggle but short of that...

http://www.healthecareers.com/AAPA/job/physician-assistant/1179257?type=partner&source=indeedorganic

http://wehealny.myvurv.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szCareerPortalID=173&szUniqueCareerPortalID=5db41d03-df28-4126-9f51-c6f97105fd66&szOrderID=7934

http://www.healthecareers.com/job/physician-assistant/1178024?type=partner&source=indeedorganic

That took me less than 20 seconds to find those job opportunities without any real struggle.

The question that is up to you research and figure out on your own is that "does NYC's rules of practice for Mid Level Providers give YOU the span of control that you feel comfortable with?" The jobs will be there. Are you ready to work within their given structure?

Don't let the posts of a few situations spoil your taste for the current job market. I have many PA friends who haven't ever heard of this website nor the problems that are often discussed here. They are highly satisfied in their jobs, feel that they are paid a competitive salary, and working a schedule that works for them. They feel no threat from NP's or congress. My point is that you are reading the "voice" of a select few. Keep in mind this is a free forum that has a very relaxed entrance requirement to become part of. Consider the source and follow Ronald Reagan's advice..."Trust, but verify".

If you are truly concerned, locate your state PA association and inquiry to what they are doing to ensure the growth of your profession.

As a graduate of a PA program of 2010 in NYC, I can say from experience that it is competitive in NYC. Interviewed at more than 5 hospitals in the NY metro area (declined several interviews due to lack of interest) but each spot had many applicants (one in the Bronx had 20+ applicants per spot). I know from my class several of the "less qualified" or "less ambitious" students are still searching for a full-time position at a teaching hospital and accepted non-ideal positions in private offices.

Bottom line: less pay, more competition.

I am highly satisfied with my life as a PA and am pleased with practice laws in NYC. As a practicing PA in NYC I am also aware of the employment competition. It is a fact ..... not necessarily a reason to avoid living / schooling in the environment but something to note for sure. I would never leave NYC ... it is my home .... even if I know PAs make on average 10,000 more a year a few states over.

I know a few pa's who practice in nyc and as mentioned elsewhere the pay is often much less than elsewhere. a good friend of mine is a ct surgical/critical care pa in nyc. anywhere else in the country he would make 125k+/yr easy.

he makes 80k/yr working lots of hrs and has not gotten a raise since hired several yrs ago. he loves his job but if he left 25 folks would jump on it overnight.

I would like to know this information because I will be graduating from a PA school in 2013. I feel like there are many threads talking about the regression of the PA profession. I would like to enusre that this will not happen to me. (cant really do that though) Therefore, my question is, how are the job prospects for newly graduated PAs in NYC? I plan to practice here in the future. Do you feel like it is too saturated in NYC due to the many PA schools?

I mean even if the market was great and PAs in NYC were making top dollar, who is to say it would be the same come 2013

I know a few pa's who practice in nyc and as mentioned elsewhere the pay is often much less than elsewhere. a good friend of mine is a ct surgical/critical care pa in nyc. anywhere else in the country he would make 125k+/yr easy.

he makes 80k/yr working lots of hrs and has not gotten a raise since hired several yrs ago. he loves his job but if he left 25 folks would jump on it overnight.

yep sadly that explains his lack of a raise. oh well he is in nyc

It's terrible , those positions you see on websites are posted by HR but most of them are internally filled already. If I sound a little peeved it's because it's not even 2013 ,it's 2011 I've been a PA for 2 years in NYC and I believe I had one shot in 2009 to work for HSS and I turned it down because it was a graveyard shift. I regretted it ever since ( I was working 9-5 Mon- Fri vs. HSS's 48 hours Overnights and Weekends) Long story short I got let go of my former position and I applied to every hospital under the moon in NYC (Montefiore/North Shore/ Beth Israel (that entire wehealny.org website , i.e St. Lukes) Harlem/Colombia/Lenox Hill (before they got acquired by north shore)/ Jamaica/ NYHQ / NYCHHC (City Hospitals)/HSS (reapplied)/Sloan Kettering/ Maimomadies/ Lutheran/ Brooklyn and I was not selected because I didn't qualify. YES ALL THOSE HOSPITALS TOLD ME I DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR THEIR POSITIONS BECAUSE I WAS TOO GREEN or TOO Inexperience .

Like I stated in a prior post written in another thread, a recruiter told me that several things has happened over the last few years for our profession :

Economy + NYC Hospital Closing (St Vincent's)+ OVER OVER OVER OVER saturation in NYC + Alumni's that refer new grads from their alma mater + Internal Hirings (they post those hiring positions for show) + PA Schools WITH HOSPITAL Affiliation + Master's Degree (is not just preferred it's STRONGLY PREFERRED)

I'm not knocking PACE , but for example PACE is linked to Lenox Hill , their graduates would have a easier time finding jobs in Lenox Hill.

I was peeved by this truth told by a respected senior medical recruiter who wouldn't go out of his way to lie to me.

Archived