Hi everyone, I am currently looking into HCE. I have it narrowed down to 2 programs; Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography (DCVS) with a specialty in either Echocardiography (Adult or Peds) or Vascular Sonography, OR Respiratory Tech and both are accredited by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs).

The duration is the same; 2 years and both start at the same time; January 2015. They obviously both will give me the "DIRECT HANDS ON" health care experience I need for PA school and secondly, it will be a good 'Plan B' and I can make a decent living while accumulating the hours. I have made up my mind to apply to both programs and see what bites.

But, surprisingly, DCVS has a prerequisite that I have never taken before or heard of; Conceptual Physics. The class starts next week and I have decided to take it. So, I was doing some research about this particular class and I saw someone described Conceptual Physics as, " ... The mathematics is typically pretty light, involve mainly the basics: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. A few square roots might be thrown in, but nothing hard. The emphasis is on "thinking-about-it" physics, where a student's intuition about physical phenomena is developed in contrast to a heavy emphasis on algebra and computation, which is typical of ordinary physics classes."  Another person reported and said, "Conceptual Physics has the derogatory name "Physics for Poets."" LOL

I wonder how CASPA would define this class? LOL Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has taken Conceptual Physics before and/or if anyone can shed some light on this for me?

TIA

I took it as an undergrad for fun and later took "real" physics for a full yr with labs when thinking about med school.

I enjoyed the "real"class more but the overview class is fine also.

Both echo tech and RT are good experience. RT is probably more universally marketable as a stand alone skill because echo tech needs a big medical ctr to work. RTs work everywhere.

E: Thank you for your feedback as always! BTW do you know how PA schools/CASPA would consider this particular "physics"?

Physics  https://portal.caspaonline.org/applicants2013/faq/coursesubject.htm

• Electricity & Light
  • Magnetism
  • Mechanical Heat
  • Physics
  • Thermodynamics

I took it as an undergrad for fun and later took "real" physics for a full yr with labs when thinking about med school.

I enjoyed the "real"class more but the overview class is fine also.

Both echo tech and RT are good experience. RT is probably more universally marketable as a stand alone skill because echo tech needs a big medical ctr to work. RTs work everywhere.

BTW I am in TX if you recall. http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/about/facts-figures/ Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas, is the largest of its kind. Not only does the TMC have one of the highest volumes of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science and research, but it also has two medical schools, four nursing schools and other specialized institutions. The internationally renowned University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center is located in the TMC and continually ranks as the No. 1 cancer care hospital in the nation. Patients from all around the world come to the TMC to receive world-class health care from the best doctors around. So, I believe that shouldn't be a problem or so I hope if I decide or get into an echo program.

I would think it should count like any other physics class (but we are not a CASPA program!)

Those are both good career paths. As EMED noted, stuff from RT school is almost universally useful. Ultrasound is the wave of the future and if you ever want to go into cardio you will be able to write your own ticket with the echo program. Any PAs or students who have the opportunity to start working with ultrasound equipment should jump onboard and get ahead of the curve.

Good luck!

Archived