High school student not sure between physician or physician assistant. Advice please?

I'll just say the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm applying to PA school. My husband is a surgeon. No way in hell would I ever want to do a residency. No way. I could have gone to med school, but residency is crazy. I could write a novel on this topic. Honestly, I don't think most PAs really understand how difficult residency or fellowship can be. The sacrifices and stress level are a lot higher for physicians. As far as money? Like you said, it's not the most important thing. Plus there's a lot of extra debt involved in most cases with med school. Respect? Can I roll my eyes any further? Your patients still all have degrees from WebMD and Dr. Google and your hospital administration only sees the bottom line. Lateral mobility and flexibility in the PA profession are huge. I'd spend some time really talking to and shadowing lots of PAs and physicians. First, though, get into college, take Anatomy and Physiology. Take Organic Chemistry. If you still want to do medicine as opposed to something easier, you will do great. You've got time. Choose wisely.

Thank you for your answer and support :) I am trying to shadow a PA at the hospital I volunteer at but I have to get all these papers and my doctor has to sign stuff... its a mess. anyway, I agree with what you say. I really don't wanna seem lazy but i don't think i really want to do a residency and all that. it just seems stressful and all the debt you collect... no thanks. as for respect, i feel like if you do a great job as a PA, you'd get the respect you deserve

The numbers aren't even in the same ballpark...

The average salary for a PA ranges from $85 or 90k to near 100k, depending upon region and specialty.  (2012 numbers)

By comparison, a pediatrician is averaging $202k, family practice $200, internal medicine $208k, psychiatry $211, orethepedics $485k, anasthesiology $360, general surgery $350k, OBGYN $280k...  (also 2012 numbers)  These numbers fluctuate less by region but more by specialty.  Worst case, a family doctor is making at least double that of his or her PA.  (FP PAs are NOT on the 100k end of that spectrum...)

An MD/DO would make up the difference, regardless of specialty or of what's happening to surgical reimbursement rates, in a couple of years.  I'm going PA despite this, so I don't mean to sound like it's all about the numbers.  But, especially for younger prospective applicants, we should all at least be aware of the medical payscale reality...

http://www.profilesdatabase.com/resources/2011-2012-physician-salary-survey
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291071.htm

It's true, we don't know how things will be in 20 years.  I just found the 2014 version of that survey, and between 2012 and 2014, MD salaries have risen, across most (all?) specialties.  Maybe 2016 will be different?  But just because docs can't count on such a big annual raise anymore doesn't mean their pay is getting chopped in half (ie, closer to what a PA makes).  And when (if) it does take that big a hit, it seems like the Physician Assistant salary would be the next domino in that line.  (I don't see a doctor who's used to making 2 or 3 times what his PA makes hiring a PA at 85% of his wage.)  I guess I'm not looking to argue number details as much as point out that currently, debt really isn't much of a consideration--especially for a young applicant with decades of earning ahead of him--in making this decision, in my estimation.  (I'm very open to reading more about this, if you have anything to share.) 

http://www.profilesdatabase.com/resources/2013-2014-physician-salary-survey

You will always get different answers from different people when you ask which path you should take. That's because we each take our own.

Some place special value on money, or prestige, or freedom, or a home life, or travel, or adventure, or whatever.

It is wrong for us to try to decide for others. And, because we only get one shot at life, it's best to have your eyes wide open when you choose your own path. As they say, be careful what you want: you just might get it!

• 2 weeks later...

if you are still confused or not decided yet...I stumbled across this article. Hopefully it gives you some insight.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s-s-ailing-medical-system-a-doctors-perspective-1409325361?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp 

Jeez... I think i will make my decision in college, because I don't think making a decision right now would be good. Thanks for the article :)

Archived