Paying for classes

Guest MedLib42

Depends on the reason you don't qualify. If you will be taking the classes as a non-degree-seeking student, you won't qualify for financial aid, grants, or loans usually. If that's the case, the best option might be to scout around for the cheapest place to take prerequisites - as another poster mentioned, community college can be a cheap option. 

If you are a degree-seeking student, scholarships and loans are still options even if you don't qualify for financial aid. If you already have a degree, you might consider enrolling in a second bachelors degree or a masters degree in biological sciences (some schools offer a 1-2 year Masters program designed to fulfill prerequisites for health sciences). You may still be eligible for scholarships and loans if you go this route (although loans for a second bachelors will be harder to get, as there are often limitations and caps on them if you already have one).

Personally, I recommend keeping loan debt to a minimum if you can, so if you can swing it, cheaper classes and/or scholarships might be the way to go.

I'm a home owner and if I was going to use it pay for school I would take out an equity line of credit.  That way you take out the money as you need it instead of accruing interest on the whole thing from the start as you would with an equity loan.  On the other hand I would really look at the rates compared to an educational loan before deciding to use my equity to get an education.

MedLib42 is pointing you in the right direction as well.  If you don't qualify for loans/financial aid because of being non-degree seeking then become degree seeking.  I used to work in college admissions and it's a well known loop hole to declare a degree to get financial aid and then just take the classes you need.  When you don't get your degree then you'll just blend in with all the others that really plan on getting a degree and quite.

Archived