Favorite Qualities of Your Program?

Hello!

The 2014-2015 is well underway and soon applicants for this cycle will be interviewing and taking some serious time to consider what each program offers them.

Tell us about your favorite aspects of the PA program you attend as a student. Does your school have Problem-Based Learning? Does their Anatomy course do cadaver dissections? Are your class ratios super large or small? Does your school offer rotations that set it appart from other programs? Please take a moment to let us applicants know! The information on many school sites are limited and many sound the same. Let us know what you love from the perspective of a student!

Drexel/Hahnemann alum:

Liked pbl and clinical medicine sections

Liked variety of rotation sites offered. I was able to do an em emphasis within the required rotations because they had the flexibility to allow trauma for surgery, peds em for peds, etc. 

Yale:

--Having multiple elective rotations with ability to do a rotation in any specialty

--Rotation sites close by, around the US and even internationally

--The feeling of family within the class and also the program as a whole (not stuck up Ivy league like I was concerned about before interviewing)

--Cadaver dissections in anatomy based on common surgical procedures and processes

--Not being stuck in the classroom 8am-5pm everyday

Stony Brook ('01)

Well established program with strong ties to many clinical rotations from NYC to east long island and beyond

Connected to a large medical center, good mix of PA, physician, and other clinical lecturers (physiologists, CLS, DDS, etc)

Good faculty support. My clinical advisor, Peter Kuemmel (who now is the PD last I saw) is an extremely intelligent and relatable guy. Having a senior PA/mentor you can seek out is huge.

Stony Brook ('02)

I'll echo all that AndersenPA said. A couple of other pluses:

Excellent cadaver-based anatomy course.

Opportunities for away rotations. I regret not taking part in this option, but I had classmates who rotated in rural Alaska, on a reservation in Arizona, and at a clinic in Hawaii.

Archived